Ethernet cable recommendations for 150' runs along open warehouse ceiling?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am slowly making my way towards setting up a 16 - 20 camera IP-based system, with most cable runs around 50 - 100'. Does it matter what kind of cable I get? Amazon has a few well-rated Cat5e options for only $50 or so for a 1,000' spool. There's no reason to get Cat6, is there? By the same token, I should use Cat5e over Cat5, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am slowly making my way towards setting up a 16 - 20 camera IP-based system, with most cable runs around 50 - 100'. Does it matter what kind of cable I get? Amazon has a few well-rated Cat5e options for only $50 or so for a 1,000' spool. There's no reason to get Cat6, is there? By the same token, I should use Cat5e over Cat5, right?
The cheap cable is copper clad aluminum... complete garbage.. stay away... buy from monoprice

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cheap cable is copper clad aluminum... complete garbage.. stay away... buy from monoprice
Do you have any specific recommendations? Is it reasonable to assume that I won't need to spend more than $100 for a 1,000 ft. spool?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest cat6; while the cameras them selves wont need the extra bandwidth capabilities.. the PoE will very much appreciate the heaver gauge (23awg) of CAT6.. your also likely to use that spool eventually for connecting a computer/switch/access point and those devices very much need cat6.

cat5e is obsolete; your wasting your time and money installing it.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So...I'm about to order two spools of cable. Because I need colors other than black, I searched Monoprice for "cat6 1000ft," and there are 28 results (see here). Most are 23awg, and some are for outdoor or burial use. The only other spec I see that differs is the MHz rating. Does this matter? For example, this product has a ton of great ratings and is offered in various colors. Would that be fine versus the previous recommendation?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a few more questions:

1) Will these connectors be fine?
2) Will this tool that I've already been using for Cat5e also work for Cat6?
3) Is there any reason to purchase network testing tools / test kit?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Yes, Cat6 Solid is what your looking for.
2. Yes, Yes the terminations are externally identical.
3. Yes, Bad cabling is the source of all sorts of headaches.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Hmm...why the need to purchase testing equipment? I've done occasional runs over the course of the year, and other than the first couple times where I didn't quite crimp it right, I've never had a problem What does a tester enable me to do that I can't do already?

EDIT now that I see your edit. So...to check for bad cabling? Is it just some device I need, or a whole array of tools? I'm lost on this one...

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable Testers are inexpensive - sub $10 on Amazon (Even $8 with Next Day shipping with my Prime Membership. You don't need anything fancy for what you are doing (Basic Electrical test is fine)). If will save you time (which is money, even if its your personal time). And it beats climbing up and down a ladder to figure out why a camera may not be working because you short changed a pin.
https://www.amazon.com/Foto4easy-Telephone-Cat5e-Network-Tester/dp/B00N2QXKA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477425193&sr=8-2&keywords=Cat5E+Cable+Tester

Can you get "less expensive cable" - You sure as shit can. HOWEVER, you might as well spend the time and money and get the quality product so you don't have to redo anything later. Just assure regardless of what you get it is Solid Core and NOT CCA (copper clad aluminum). I can get Remee Cat5E solid core cable for $35 per 1000' box through our electrical supply house - I have used this for IP POE camera systems in the past, even at my last house without issue. HOWEVER, I still the majority of the time will spend the extra $ and pickup cat 6 just to assist in the future proofing if you will of the project.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the help! I just purchased a couple of spools of the recommended Cat6 cable along with some connectors. I will be running at least some of this stuff next week.

Cable Testers are inexpensive - sub $10 on Amazon (Even $8 with Next Day shipping with my Prime Membership. You don't need anything fancy for what you are doing (Basic Electrical test is fine)). If will save you time (which is money, even if its your personal time). And it beats climbing up and down a ladder to figure out why a camera may not be working because you short changed a pin.
https://www.amazon.com/Foto4easy-Telephone-Cat5e-Network-Tester/dp/B00N2QXKA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477425193&sr=8-2&keywords=Cat5E+Cable+Tester
I will pass on this one because it sounds like it tests only one wire at a time, which does not allow for testing while wiggling the cable. I'm going to do some runs on the wire I bought, and I will test later if there's a problem.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.