Ethernet over power

Aqualung

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I see lots of IP cams with power over Ethernet, though none with Ethernet over power ("powerline Ethernet"). Looks to me that the powerline Ethernet technology has advanced a lot these days. Does any of you have knowledge of any Ethernet over power IP cams out there?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If any such device exists - I have never seen one.

Powerline Ethernet uses the mains wiring to transmit modulated high-frequency signals that can be used for network traffic. It does need the wiring to be continuous between each endpoint, so for example endpoints on different main phases interrupt the signal.
An IP camera is a low-voltage device, connected to a mains to low-voltage converter / power supply, one of the important functions of which is to isolate the output from noise and interference from the mains input. So any 'power-line like signals' would be blocked.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lots of people whom rent use power line networking for IPCameras, its much better than trying to put Security Cams on WiFi.. most HD IP Cameras use ~10Mbit max throughput so a power line ethernet connection is quite adequate and an order of magnitude more reliable than wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_hi_eb?rh=n:172282,n:541966,n:172504,n:490499011,n:1194444&ie=UTF8&qid=1417642231

Ive even seen some fancy Power Line adapters than can provide PoE output.. they arent cheap but can cleanup wires alot with just an ethernet cable running from the outlet to the camera.

The actual throughput is usally much much less than the advertised maximum throughput, quite like wifi's advertised speeds.. and its a shared bandwidth so calculate needed throughput for all power line cameras, and then double it for good measure.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erth64net

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive even seen some fancy Power Line adapters than can provide PoE output.. they arent cheap but can cleanup wires alot with just an ethernet cable running from the outlet to the camera.
Ah..I was going to post asking for help locating PoE HomePlug adapters...but found them in the meantime. For anyone else that's looking:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-500av-poe.html

The following Google search phrase shows plenty of other hits:
homeplug 802.3af​

I've had very disappointing performance and reliability using higher-end commercial WiFi cameras, so PowerLine-capable PoE injectors might just address some of the typical retrofit complexities. Further, newer HomePlug equipment no longer has the cross-phase communication issues of older implementations, which even further eases deployments.

Last edited by a moderator: