Event awareness and video review methods?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how do you actually review your videos? I have some cameras that trigger on many bogus events due to shadows from passing car headlights or wind motion. The vast number of bogus triggers makes it difficult to review the recordings to see is anything "significant" occurred. I am thinking that I might need to add a network of PIR sensors to replace the camera motion detection? Thoughts? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So how do you actually review your videos? I have some cameras that trigger on many bogus events due to shadows from passing car headlights or wind motion. The vast number of bogus triggers makes it difficult to review the recordings to see is anything "significant" occurred. I am thinking that I might need to add a network of PIR sensors to replace the camera motion detection? Thoughts? Thanks.
Or you can set up motion detection properly... Read The help file and watch the video tutorials. A PIR sensor has no way of knowing whether something "significant" has occurred.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a PIR sensor triggers it wasn't just a shadow or a headlight or the sun reflecting off a windshield. I can make camera triggers less sensitive and I can make them ignore areas of the view but they still can't tell the difference between a person and a shadow. Can they?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If a PIR sensor triggers it wasn't just a shadow or a headlight or the sun reflecting off a windshield. I can make camera triggers less sensitive and I can make them ignore areas of the view but they still can't tell the difference between a person and a shadow. Can they?
A pir sensor may tell you if there is a warm person/animal nearby, but dont you also sometimes want to know if there is a car? Is that not important?
You can set the sensitivity and zones so that shadows or headlights dont false trigger. Blue iris is also integrating various AI. See the whats new section.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using zone crossing in BI, you can significantly reduce or eliminate false triggers when correctly setup/tuned. It takes some time to accomplish.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found that UI3 is very good for reviewing clips. You pause the playback then drag the pointer across the timeline. Sort of like fast forward and you control the "fast".

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using zone crossing in BI, you can significantly reduce or eliminate false triggers when correctly setup/tuned. It takes some time to accomplish.
I have a terrible nighttime situation for my front yard. The curve in the road causes stark headlight-illuminated tree shadows to sweep across the yard. I don't see how any camera would be able to ignore them and yet catch other movement. I am guessing that some other sensor scheme will be needed.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it reduces false trigger because the areas must trigger in sequence and not at the same time?