Everything is Bigger in Texas

Erik Parra

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, Erik from Texas here. New to IP cameras in general. Just bought a house and want to get a camera system to be able to monitor it when I'm away.

I got here from a reddit post where they were comparing "Reolink vs whomever", after fumbling around here, I think the consensus was Reolink is junk and all consumer systems sold aren't very good or you're paying a premium to get the system.

I'm reading the cliff notes, lots of information and honestly a lot of it is going over my head. Couple things I'm figuring out as I go though the notes.

1. I either need an NVR or a computer running blue iris.
2. Plan for more cameras, I was thinking of doing 9, 4 at corners, 2-(1) at each side, 1 back door, 1 front door, 1 garage. I was thinking i was going overboard but maybe I'm not? :idk:
3. The DORI section when completely over my head. "The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi"
Horizontal Res, is that the resolution of the camera? so a 1080p camera enter 1080 in that spot? What about the Angle? Is that the angle of the camera? I will mount the camera on the bottom of the roof overhang, so I'm assuming there will be an angle pointing the camera down to get a good view. Is this the angle I use?
4. Lastly, glad to be here. I've already learned a lot from these Cliff Notes and I'm sure i'll learn more just by re-reading them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, Erik from Texas here. New to IP cameras in general. ...

3. The DORI section when completely over my head. "The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi"
Horizontal Res, is that the resolution of the camera? so a 1080p camera enter 1080 in that spot? What about the Angle? Is that the angle of the camera? I will mount the camera on the bottom of the roof overhang, so I'm assuming there will be an angle pointing the camera down to get a good view. Is this the angle I use?
Hi Erik,

A 1080P = 1920x1080 - 1080 = vertical, 1920 = horizontal

Horizontal FOV = angle for the equation.

The calculations are simplified - and it assumes the camera is basically at eye level to the suspect.

If you mount the camera too high on the house, the suspect will need to be closer to the house AND look up at the camera for a good facial ID image.

Here's an example with a fixed lens Dahua OEM starlight camera

ID spec distance and associated area max covered calculations ( 100ppf+ ):
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/2.8mm lens H 110° 10 feet 95.94 sqft
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/3.6mm lens H 87° 12.65 feet 121.43 sqft
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/6mm lens H 51° 21.58 feet 207.16 sqft

Again if you mount the camera's too high the distance the suspect will need to be closer to the base of the wall where the camera is mounted ( i.e. it will be less than the ID distance listed above as an example - as that is the distance from the suspects face to the camera lens )

example: 2.8mm lens camera listed above mounted 6 feel higher than the face of the suspect results in the suspect needing to be 8 feet away from the base of the wall - plus they need to look up at the camera for a good straight on facial ID image. ( geometry calculation using 10 feet as the ID distance and vertical height difference of 6 feet )

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, Erik from Texas here. New to IP cameras in general. Just bought a house and want to get a camera system to be able to monitor it when I'm away.

I got here from a reddit post where they were comparing "Reolink vs whomever", after fumbling around here, I think the consensus was Reolink is junk and all consumer systems sold aren't very good or you're paying a premium to get the system.

I'm reading the cliff notes, lots of information and honestly a lot of it is going over my head. Couple things I'm figuring out as I go though the notes.

1. I either need an NVR or a computer running blue iris.
2. Plan for more cameras, I was thinking of doing 9, 4 at corners, 2-(1) at each side, 1 back door, 1 front door, 1 garage. I was thinking i was going overboard but maybe I'm not? :idk:
4. Lastly, glad to be here. I've already learned a lot from these Cliff Notes and I'm sure i'll learn more just by re-reading them.
Welcome, there is a leaning curve. I spent almost two months on here before making an order.
Relink is junk, stick with Dahua or Hikvision cams.
Blue Iris is heads and shoulders above any NVR.