Experience with Recessed Cameras?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vivotek FD816CA-HF2 FD816CA-HF2 - Fixed Dome Network Camera - VIVOTEK
Dahua IPC-HDB4431g http://br.dahuasecurity.com/download/dh-ipc-hdb4431g-as_datasheet_201704252.pdf

I like the form as its small and I am using these for interior purposes. Neither have traditional IR and they mention “electronic day/night”. What does that exactly mean? Anyone have any field experience with either camera for a low light setting?

I am placing them inside a house in a home office and also the entry mini foyer to the master bedroom before the room itself. I have a home automation system, so I guess I can try to cover 95% of the time to make sure a light is on in those two areas but obviously there can always be a use case that slips my mind and the programming and it could be dark in the room (minus some light from street lights or something outside during the night).

Anyone else have recommendations for something inconspicuous to put inside that can work in low light if not these two options above?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Vivotek FD816CA-HF2 FD816CA-HF2 - Fixed Dome Network Camera - VIVOTEK
Dahua IPC-HDB4431g http://br.dahuasecurity.com/download/dh-ipc-hdb4431g-as_datasheet_201704252.pdf

I like the form as its small and I am using these for interior purposes. Neither have traditional IR and they mention “electronic day/night”. What does that exactly mean? Anyone have any field experience with either camera for a low light setting?

I am placing them inside a house in a home office and also the entry mini foyer to the master bedroom before the room itself. I have a home automation system, so I guess I can try to cover 95% of the time to make sure a light is on in those two areas but obviously there can always be a use case that slips my mind and the programming and it could be dark in the room (minus some light from street lights or something outside during the night).

Anyone else have recommendations for something inconspicuous to put inside that can work in low light if not these two options above?
Those will not work in a dark room. Consider a mini dome or mini ptz
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/3691
or
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/19691

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thoughts on SD1A203T-GN? Seems similar but has a zoom aspect to it.

2 questions:
1) does not say outdoor rated per say but it says operating temp is down to -22F. If this is under a cover of a front porch protected from 99% of the elements and no direct sun, it should be ok?
2) If I wanted audio too how would I go about adding an external mic? All other cameras I have had in the past had internal mics. Seems like this has an input. Wanting to see about power requirements and/or aesthetics of an external mic

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be fine installing most indoor cameras in sheltered locations. This one looks better sealed than many indoor cameras anyway.

External microphones are pretty simple, though they do require 12 volt power which is not already available when you use PoE to power the camera. To get 12 volt power you need to run a second wire with a 12v power brick or use an active PoE splitter to convert the PoE power to 12 volts, then use the splitter's 12v output to power both the microphone and the camera. (most PoE cameras have optional 12v DC input)

This is a pretty good microphone that I'm using with a Dahua that has a microphone input: http://a.co/d/iNHs3Pm

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I am leaning anyways towards my original recessed cameras, even without the IR. They are going in 2 interior rooms in my house and we only want to record when the alarm is going off (think its too creepy to record inside the house 24x7). Blue Iris talks to my automation system (control4) so I can do a quick line of programming to say if alarm is going off, turn on the lights in Room A and B (where the cameras are) so there will be plenty of light to record.

Worst case if my idea fails me I can always replace it with someone else, but we prefer the minimal look of these and I think 1-2 lines of programming will handle.

I did notice the Dahua recessed cam has trip wire intrusion with the IVS feature, I could even do something where if the line is tripped and its dark then turn on the lights in the room. I am wondering how well IVS will work in the dark without the IR's though, but I think my original idea is sufficient enough.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I am leaning anyways towards my original recessed cameras, even without the IR. They are going in 2 interior rooms in my house and we only want to record when the alarm is going off (think its too creepy to record inside the house 24x7). Blue Iris talks to my automation system (control4) so I can do a quick line of programming to say if alarm is going off, turn on the lights in Room A and B (where the cameras are) so there will be plenty of light to record.

Worst case if my idea fails me I can always replace it with someone else, but we prefer the minimal look of these and I think 1-2 lines of programming will handle.

I did notice the Dahua recessed cam has trip wire intrusion with the IVS feature, I could even do something where if the line is tripped and its dark then turn on the lights in the room. I am wondering how well IVS will work in the dark without the IR's though, but I think my original idea is sufficient enough.
IVS won't work in the dark.
These are great little cams.
Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IVS won't work in the dark.
These are great little cams.
Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ
Thanks I saw that unit/review and Andy showed me that model too. But I am thinking for my use the recessed ones are fine. As I talk through it I can guarantee a light will always be on in that room when the camera has to record. I may look at one of those mini PTZ for outside under an overhang but instead did a regular mini Starlight model instead (IPC-HDBW4231F-AS).

I am using HDW5631R-ZE outdoors under the soffit. Need two for indoor use (the recessed ones) and 1 for outside under an awning that will be protected from direct sun and weather - so I went with IPC-HDBW4231F-AS vs SD1A203T. Part of the reason is the HDBW has a built in mic, I know its not great quality but really just want to hear someone by the front door, not 10 yards away or something. Not sure I need PTZ in that corner since I am trying to get the front porch in a wide angle.