Expert Motion Detection

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have setup motion detection via my NVR (7608NI) and it sends out email notifications. However, this does pick up alot of false detections so I want to use the Expert motion detection on the camera itself.

I have setup the motion detection directly on my camera and set it to send out emails (on the camera), however I get no emails. When sending a test email on the camera it fails. The settings are the same as the emails on my NVR (which works fine). Do I need to set the emails on the camera or do I need to set it on the NVR itself? Do i need to enable motion detection on both the NVR and camera, and set up emails on both?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suspect your camera connects directly to the NVR rather to a switch on the local network and that is why is can't see the internet and send email.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
I suspect your camera connects directly to the NVR rather to a switch on the local network and that is why is can't see the internet and send email.
That is correct,all my cameras connect directly to the NVR.

I presume I will need to setup the cameras on the internet as in the below links?

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10182-Possible-to-send-emails-by-camera-connected-to-NVR

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6711-email-alerts-to-attach-image-on-DS-7108N-SN-P-or-get-camera-to-communicate-outside?highlight=static+route

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I have been trying to get the emails from the IP camera itself working but I'm not having any luck. The IP cameras are connected to the NVR, and the NVR is connected to my SuperHub2 router. The network settings on the NVR are as below:

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.9
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.4.4
Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

The email notifications work fine from the NVR. However, they do not work from the IP cameras. Below are the network settings on the IP cameras:

IPv4 address: 192.168.255.10
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.9

Any help please?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.9
The default gateway on the cameras needs to be on the same subnet as the camera IP address - or it has no way to reach it to send packets to it. 192.168.0.9 is not on the same subnet as 192.168.255.10
You need to use the NVR PoE interface IP address as the default gateway.
I would guess that you have customised the PoE interface IP address of the NVR away from it's default 192.168.254.1 value to maybe 192.168.255.1
If so, that's what you need to set on the cameras.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
The default gateway on the cameras needs to be on the same subnet as the camera IP address - or it has no way to reach it to send packets to it. 192.168.0.9 is not on the same subnet as 192.168.255.10
You need to use the NVR PoE interface IP address as the default gateway.
I would guess that you have customised the PoE interface IP address of the NVR away from it's default 192.168.254.1 value to maybe 192.168.255.1
If so, that's what you need to set on the cameras.
Sorry not quite following. Should I change the default gateway on the NVR to 192.168.254.1 and leave the cameras IP address as 182.168.255.10?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I change the default gateway on the NVR to 192.168.254.1
No - this is about the PoE-connected camera having the wrong default gateway.
You've said the camera default gateway is this : "IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.9"
which unless it's a typo (it is an unusual setting, though not actually invalid, for a gateway IP address) is not on the same subnet as the camera IP address : "IPv4 address: 192.168.255.10"

"I would guess that you have customised the PoE interface IP address of the NVR away from it's default 192.168.254.1 value to maybe 192.168.255.1"
So I'm kinduv guessing what the NVR PoE interface IP address is, that you need to use for the camera default gateway value.

I hope that makes sense.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
No - this is about the PoE-connected camera having the wrong default gateway.
You've said the camera default gateway is this : "IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.9"
which unless it's a typo (it is an unusual setting, though not actually invalid, for a gateway IP address) is not on the same subnet as the camera IP address : "IPv4 address: 192.168.255.10"

"I would guess that you have customised the PoE interface IP address of the NVR away from it's default 192.168.254.1 value to maybe 192.168.255.1"
So I'm kinduv guessing what the NVR PoE interface IP address is, that you need to use for the camera default gateway value.

I hope that makes sense.
The NVR has the below settings:

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.9
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Should I change the NVR's IPv4 address to 192.168.254.1 and then set the default gateway on the camera to this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I change the NVR's IPv4 address to 192.168.254.1 and then set the default gateway on the camera to this?
No, no! Read the post. "No - this is about the PoE-connected camera having the wrong default gateway."

Assuming that you do have a 7608NI-Ex/nP - then the NVR has 2 network interfaces - one connected to the LAN (192.168.0.9), and one internal to the NVR, that is used on the PoE ports.
Find out what the PoE interface IP address is. You can see this via the HDMI/VGA interface, not via the web GUI.
The default value is 192.168.254.1
If you have not changed it - and there isn't any good reason to do so - that's the IP address that you need to use as the default gateway in cameras connected to the PoE ports so that they can send email.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
No, no! Read the post. "No - this is about the PoE-connected camera having the wrong default gateway."

Assuming that you do have a 7608NI-Ex/nP - then the NVR has 2 network interfaces - one connected to the LAN (192.168.0.9), and one internal to the NVR, that is used on the PoE ports.
Find out what the PoE interface IP address is. You can see this via the HDMI/VGA interface, not via the web GUI.
The default value is 192.168.254.1
If you have not changed it - and there isn't any good reason to do so - that's the IP address that you need to use as the default gateway in cameras connected to the PoE ports so that they can send email.
That makes alot more sense, I can see the internal IP address which is 192.168.255.1, i have set the default gateway on the cameras to 192.168.255.1 but emails from the camera are still not working.

Is there something I need to do on my router?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, a couple of things to check.
In the camera, with an internet time service such as time.windows.com set as the NTP service - check if the 'Test' button gives 'success'.
If so - that's a good indication that both name resolution and connectivity are working OK.
If not - try replacing the 'time.windows.com' setting with its IP address and check the 'Test' button.
If success - then connectivity is OK, but name resolution may not be.
You've noted the use of the Google DNS servers - these are generally known to work OK for Hikvision cameras.

Next - it may be necessary to explicitly configure the network route to the cameras in your router.
This is known as a static, private route.
The settings will be along the lines of 'for the network identified as 192.168.255.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 use the NVR LAN interface IP address of 192.168.0.9 as the gateway to that network, with maybe some metric such as 2'
Then re-test as above.
A confirmation that network connectivity is OK is if you can ping the camera on 192.168.255.10 from a device on the LAN.

If you do get success and email still doesn't work - then you are likely into the detail of the specific email service you are trying to set up.
It's normal that services such as Gmail require that you configure the account to allow a 'less secure client' to connect, or you might have to create a specific 'device password' as a similar approach.
There are quite a few posts on Gmail email setups.

Good luck!

*edit* And I totally forgot to mention, apologies, - all this depends on the 'Virtual Host' feature being available and enabled on your NVR.

Last edited by a moderator:

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Expert Motion Detection / Instursion Detection

OK, a couple of things to check.
In the camera, with an internet time service such as time.windows.com set as the NTP service - check if the 'Test' button gives 'success'.
If so - that's a good indication that both name resolution and connectivity are working OK.
If not - try replacing the 'time.windows.com' setting with its IP address and check the 'Test' button.
If success - then connectivity is OK, but name resolution may not be.
You've noted the use of the Google DNS servers - these are generally known to work OK for Hikvision cameras.

Next - it may be necessary to explicitly configure the network route to the cameras in your router.
This is known as a static, private route.
The settings will be along the lines of 'for the network identified as 192.168.255.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 use the NVR LAN interface IP address of 192.168.0.9 as the gateway to that network, with maybe some metric such as 2'
Then re-test as above.
A confirmation that network connectivity is OK is if you can ping the camera on 192.168.255.10 from a device on the LAN.

If you do get success and email still doesn't work - then you are likely into the detail of the specific email service you are trying to set up.
It's normal that services such as Gmail require that you configure the account to allow a 'less secure client' to connect, or you might have to create a specific 'device password' as a similar approach.
There are quite a few posts on Gmail email setups.

Good luck!

*edit* And I totally forgot to mention, apologies, - all this depends on the 'Virtual Host' feature being available and enabled on your NVR.

Thanks, I think I will need a new router to do the static route mapping as the Virgin Media SuperHub2 has no such functionality.

In the meanwhile, I have decided to use the 'Intrusion Detection' functionality which allows you to set the same variables as the expert motion detection i.e. percentage, sensitivity etc. with the added feature of how many seconds an object has spent in a pre-defined area. However, I am now experiencing some issues with the emails being sent via the NVR. Some emails contain the image while others do not. Not sure why this is, any ideas? My NVR is on v3.4.6 build 160405.

Also, documentation says that intrusion detection will allow you set 4 areas, but on my NVR and camera it only allows you to set 1 area. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can plug the camera into your superhub, along with a POE injector or AC so you have power to the camera, and add the camera manually onto the NVR. This way the camera records to the NVR, it's on your home network, and not on the network with the NVR POE ports.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can plug the camera into your superhub, along with a POE injector or AC so you have power to the camera, and add the camera manually onto the NVR. This way the camera records to the NVR, it's on your home network, and not on the network with the NVR POE ports.
I prefer the intrustion detection, as it allows you to set the number of seconds an object is in a defined area, which cuts down any false detections. Only downside is that the documentation says you can set upto 4 areas but I only have the option to set 1. Is this expected?

Also, I am still having issues with the emails containing pictures. Some emails have them and others don't. All emails at night have the images without any issues. I'm using gmail and it allows upto 25mb attachments which should be plenty.