Exploit virus in jpg files

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me chime in on this, first thing first, I see infected computers among other things on a regular basis. I have been doing this a very long time. I will never let a computer leave my shop without some level of protection. I personally would not suggest having a windows box without some kind of protection PERIOD. If you are a careful and skilled person and want to roll the dice, feel free, but for the average end user VERY bad advise. I do agree with the fact that most new variants of malware, ransom ware and viruses will blow by your antivirus program on occasion but it happens to all of them from time to time, just the nature of the beast.
I just helped a guy with 7 of his office computers, All got the same e-mail about a Fed Ex International item ready to be picked up. It seemed the office computers had a wide range of different antivirus programs. Here is how they did. Updated Nortons 360 fail, AVG..Fail , The windows 7 boxes all got infected and all there data was encrypted. The window 10 boxes running just windows defender..well it stopped it in its track. A example of human nature to click. No matter how careful people are, the odds are not in your favor long term.
I can understand this and agree with this. But wouldn't you say there is no way of really knowing if you have a virus or not ? I mean if your antivirus says you have one it could be a false positive, but let's say that it is a real virus and the antivirus program cleans it , you do a scan and it says your clean how do you really know your clean? You wouldn't know your 100% clean unless you format and reload from a known good source like Microsoft web site. And I do think you should run the antivirus that comes with windows I'm not saying turn that off. This is why I wouldn't give a windows machine to someone who just wants to surf the web and Facebook or check email. Just give that user a chromebook. But if Wanna run BI you obviously need windows. Point is windows is only needed in certain situations. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you obviously get upset when people disagree with you. Sorry we don't all agree with you, if you ban me for that oh well. I know how to change my user name password and IP address. Again not trying to be a ass but sorry if I don't agree with every word out of your mouth. Also I recall a couple of post back you said you wouldn't ban people if they disagree
This is not about a disagreement..You are deliberately misleading folks and acting like an ass..You are done here...We have methods of blocking you...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say 80% of the time when a windows box is infected you will know something is not right. Most people will say "Ya know its been running slow lately". It might be a service running in the background that looks unfamiliar, or a program loaded in startup that looks funny. The other 20% of the time you might have to roll up your sleeves and use some advance diagnosis tools and hit it with 2 or three different malware or AV scanners. I really like Microsoft Sysinternals , Its almost hard to hide from that program because it shows you everything that is going on from startup to your internet concurrent connections. Anyway how would you really know if you had some stealthy script hidden inside and waiting to strike,, the answer is you may not. I also might say that if you think ChromeBook is 100% safe to do whatever you might be a little overconfident on that. Its definitely a lot safer than windows, but its just a matter of time.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally someone that knows what they're talking about . Instead Of just following the guy with the high post count !! I agree with this if your a user that understands what your doing and your taking updates as you should be doing. Again understand mostly how to use a windows computer. Their is no need for 3rd party anti virus. This is a prime example of how it is mostly worthless, most people would probably think they have a virus and format their computer,or take it to some place that charges 60 a hour to fix it. Also I don't think most people need a windows machine to check email and web surf get a chromebook if that's all your doing. With my BI machine it's a dedicated BI machine with no antivirus just a nice firewall.
I don't even use Windows firewall, I handle all of that at the edge of the network, most of the banners and ads that give you virus's are blocked and don't even load inside of my network. Not saying I'm invulnerable but you'll have a damn hard time, if I'm targeted by the NSA, I'm probably screwed no matter what lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not about post count, it is about substance... fenderman or nayr along with other have posted a plethora of useful information...

you and hmj...well let's just say you have some catching up to do... if someone removes their anti virus, and gets a virus here, and u prepared to help them? The "high" post count members you are referring to actually follow through with their instruction with more help or information if needed... not posting stuff just because..
I actually did get a PM from someone asking for help and I did help them just the other day.

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't even use Windows firewall, I handle all of that at the edge of the network, most of the banners and ads that give you virus's are blocked and don't even load inside of my network.
Could you explain what you mean by,"I handle all of that at the edge of the network..." and how does one do this? Or is this more of a very advanced user thing?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I block stuff in my firewall, but on your machine you can do the same thing, surf the net with Google chrome and install the ublock origin add-on

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
And I personally don't care if people run anti virus, I just know two things, one, it's not foolproof, two, the kinds of people who get viruses will get them no matter what you put on their machine, the anti virus might stop some stuff but eventually they will catch something. Windows keeps hack PC techs on Craigslist in business.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And I personally don't care if people run anti virus, I just know two things, one, it's not foolproof, two, the kinds of people who get viruses will get them no matter what you put on their machine, the anti virus might stop some stuff but eventually they will catch something. Windows keeps hack PC techs on Craigslist in business.

Condoms aren't foolproof either... Only an idiot would say don't use them...You can't stop everything at the edge....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good online backup software is also important to minimize the damage of a ransomware attack. Ransomware is a virus that encrypts all your files and then demands money to let you access your files again (they're just as likely to take your money and run, as they are to give your files back). So you need to have backups of all your files that you can restore from once you've wiped the PC and started over.

djcb

n3wb
Reaction score
So what your saying is if I'm running antivirus my pc won't get infected and I won't infect others?
coughtrollough.

Come on dude. Use that troll energy to troll Reolink about their refusal to fix the issues with their firmware.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Good online backup software is also important to minimize the damage of a ransomware attack. Ransomware is a virus that encrypts all your files and then demands money to let you access your files again (they're just as likely to take your money and run, as they are to give your files back). So you need to have backups of all your files that you can restore from once you've wiped the PC and started over.
Store your files on something that isn't Windows lol I know, I know.