Express VPN very slow on Asus router any good VPN out there ?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Asus router and tried to add ExpressVPN which has not proven successful. I normal have between 150 - 175 mbps and when I use any of their approved locations it drops to 4.5 mbps at best. I have tried close locations and even other countries with no improvement. Anybody have a good example of VPN on their Asus routers that is working well ? prefer free set up which I believe is possible on Asus but, willing to pay naturally. ExpressVPN was going to run at about $8.00 per month. I worked with 4 different of their customer service reps. for hours going through WAN set up and tring all VPN locations using PPTP , L2TP and openvpn. In the end the last guy says that connection is not that bad. I told them they should sell stamps as the mail is faster. Not sure why they are so slow or what is wrong. The set up is easy part but I cannot sacrifice that much speed, thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Asus router and tried to add ExpressVPN which has not proven successful. I normal have between 150 - 175 mbps and when I use any of their approved locations it drops to 4.5 mbps at best. I have tried close locations and even other countries with no improvement. Anybody have a good example of VPN on their Asus routers that is working well ? prefer free set up which I believe is possible on Asus but, willing to pay naturally. ExpressVPN was going to run at about $8.00 per month. I worked with 4 different of their customer service reps. for hours going through WAN set up and tring all VPN locations using PPTP , L2TP and openvpn. In the end the last guy says that connection is not that bad. I told them they should sell stamps as the mail is faster. Not sure why they are so slow or what is wrong. The set up is easy part but I cannot sacrifice that much speed, thoughts?
you are confusing types of vpn....the free vpn on the asus will not mask your ip...it will create a secure tunnel to your network - this is what you want to avoid port forwarding and maintain a secure connection. Expressvpn is used to mask ip info generally used for stealing content.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
O I did not realize VPN were used for stealing content. There are several recommendations to use vpn to protect your system particularly camera privacy on this site. I was not aware that those that use vpm were criminal seedy types wow thanks for the clarification.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
O I did not realize VPN were used for stealing content. There are several recommendations to use vpn to protect your system particularly camera privacy on this site. I was not aware that those that use vpm were criminal seedy types wow thanks for the clarification.
Once again while trying to be a sarcastic putz, you failed to read my post. You are confusing two COMPLETELY different types of VPN. The vpn used to secure the cameras is NOT the same as services used to mask ip to steal content. This is basic 101 stuff...you have once again shown your complete lack of knowledge when it comes to security and networking.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You failed to read mine where did I say I wanted to mask my ip ? I also assumed this was a site to learn and share information and ask questions just as I have done on this post. I have never claimed to be a expert on anything to do with VPN or security cameras. I am an expert in reading people though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You failed to read mine where did I say I wanted to mask my ip ? I also assumed this was a site to learn and share information and ask questions just as I have done on this post. I have never claimed to be a expert on anything to do with VPN or security cameras. I am an expert in reading people though.
Stop acting like an asshole or i will remedy the situation myself. I dont have to tolerate you acting like idiot. Consider this your final warning. I never said you wanted to mask your ip. I EXPLAINED that there are different types of VPN, used for different purposes. YOU failed to read that because you were too busy coming up with a smartass remark.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oddly enough in a round about way you answered my question enough to help. I did not know there was a server and client options in my new Asus router and assumed VPN was a VPN. I have now set up access to my router on the server option rather than ExpressVPN on the client side. I assume now I need to close the ports opened by the NVR and close the doors ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oddly enough in a round about way you answered my question enough to help. I did not know there was a server and client options in my new Asus router and assumed VPN was a VPN. I have now set up access to my router on the server option rather than ExpressVPN on the client side. I assume now I need to close the ports opened by the NVR and close the doors ?
disable all port forwarding/upnp/p2p all that crap...read nayr's vpn primer thread

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Jack
Did you use openVPN on the Asus? I used that, along with the free ASUS DDNS service. If you enable DDNS on the asus, and set up a unique name for it, it automatically uses it for openVPN.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do i have to pay for a VPN Service? No, this a common point of confusion.. there are services out there that will run a VPN Server for you on a remote network.. these are used to hide your location from public internet services.. such as watching Netflix from a US IP, or downloading Torrents without exposing your IP address to the swarm.. If you have an externally routable IP address you will run your own VPN Server on your own network, using free software.. so there are no subscription fees.