Extended Run Help

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ran over 300 plus feet of CAT6 burial cable (in a pipe as well) to a post that has one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera. I have power but cannot get a video signal. I have checked the cabling and connections and their are no issues. On a secondary cable that I terminated midway I get power and video; no issues either.

I have tried a MikroTik PoE extender but no luck. Any idea how I can resolve the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
CAT5E/6 is rated to 328 feet (100 M) at full speed, as @iwanttosee indicated. Assuming you have confirmed the POE switch port that cable is plugged into is working properly, it just about has to be a termination issue. Take another network device, preferably non-POE and see if it works at the end of the cable.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make sure the cable is terminated correctly, to the standard. Most cheap testers just test for continuity, if the twists are not correct, it will not work.
Also the cable must be pure copper, NO CCA (copper clad aluminum) .
Does the cable cross or run parallel to High voltage power.

568b2.jpg

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you use the same camera to test your secondary cable?

AKA: did you rule out the camera used at 300ft as the culprit?

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Checked that as well. Both connections are the same. Snug fit. Even terminated the second run midway to test with camera and PoE and works fine half the distance. I must be right on the verge of packet/signal loss.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
make sure the cable is terminated correctly, to the standard. Most cheap testers just test for continuity, if the twists are not correct, it will not work.
Also the cable must be pure copper, NO CCA (copper clad aluminum) .

No stranded cabling either, go with solid

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Used several cameras from Andy - same results. All work fine with the midway run about 150ft; then all three have power no video signal at roughly 300ft. That is why I mentioned the MikroTik PoE extender but no luck with that either.

I am wondering if an outdoor switch would help.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At 300 feet, you are using a relatively low power camera. Assuming good cable, it should not be a problem. Another user on here has posted about running 400', maybe 600', no loss in performance. The 100 M distance is NOT a problem with good cable and good terminations. Take a laptop and try it at the far end. I'm betting it won't work either, indicating a cable or termination issue. The cable testers you use (and I use) only test continuity, they don't test for poor connections or other issues. Try a non-POE piece of equipment to confirm that the POE is not the issue.