Extended Support - is it worth it?

Compnor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum - so thank you for hearing me out. I have had a BI server for a number of years now going back to at least BI 3 if not 2. Anyway, when the extended support option became a thing, I decided I would try it out seeing as how I found that contacting customer support was not always quick. That was 2 years ago.

Several days ago, I was having an issue opening the BI console - it was giving some sort of runtime error and would not open the console. I did not write down the specific error as I decided to try a reinstall first. Reinstallation fixed the issue in that I could now open the console. However, it was showing as an unregistered version and I had the evaluation watermark on my cameras. Putting in my license key seemed to fix this problem, until the next time I opened the console - once more to see the evaluation watermark. At this point I e-mailed support, but noticed that my system details showed that my extended support had expired August of 2019 - this however should not be as I have been billed twice annually since then. So now I am stuck at the bottom of the priority list having paid for this alleged benefit of priority assessment on three separate occasions, and am now waiting for a response from the BI support.

So my question is this - is it worth paying for this service? I believe in their product and am even willing to say they deserve my money, but would appreciate insight from others who have more experience than myself. Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum - so thank you for hearing me out. I have had a BI server for a number of years now going back to at least BI 3 if not 2. Anyway, when the extended support option became a thing, I decided I would try it out seeing as how I found that contacting customer support was not always quick. That was 2 years ago.

Several days ago, I was having an issue opening the BI console - it was giving some sort of runtime error and would not open the console. I did not write down the specific error as I decided to try a reinstall first. Reinstallation fixed the issue in that I could now open the console. However, it was showing as an unregistered version and I had the evaluation watermark on my cameras. Putting in my license key seemed to fix this problem, until the next time I opened the console - once more to see the evaluation watermark. At this point I e-mailed support, but noticed that my system details showed that my extended support had expired August of 2019 - this however should not be as I have been billed twice annually since then. So now I am stuck at the bottom of the priority list having paid for this alleged benefit of priority assessment on three separate occasions, and am now waiting for a response from the BI support.

So my question is this - is it worth paying for this service? I believe in their product and am even willing to say they deserve my money, but would appreciate insight from others who have more experience than myself. Thank you!
Extended support is required if you want minor version upgrades after the first year. 35 bux is a joke and dirt cheap in this category.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Only you can decide if it is worth it to you, me personally, I’ve had nothing but great support whenever I have logged a ticket but you have take into account that BI is developed by one person so.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are sending the support emails as per the instructions in BI help.
Give details in the email, such as the error you didn't write down.
He can't read your mind.