Ezviz (hikvision) cameras disconnecting from NVR WiFi network

matthewj

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got an ezviz nvr and a ezviz c3w. The c3w is mounted outside, but should be within the wifi range, however occasionally it disconnects from the wifi and needs restarting. Clearly this isn't great from a security device (although I understand wifi isn't ideal). Anybody else experience these problems?

I should add I've got root on the NVR and with the command recorderStatus no channel shows up. I also can't ping the camera or access its RTSP stream.

I'm not 100% sure that it's not a wifi range issue, but the fact a restart fixes it makes me think it might not be that.

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using ezviz camera at home, connected to my mikrotik AP, then i add them locally to NVR. Seems the NVR AP is not as stable as AP's

matthewj

n3wb
Reaction score
This is true, but it's irrelevant as even when I restart the NVR the camera doesn't connect. Plus, I can connect something like my phone to the NVR fine. To me it seems like sometimes when the camera drops WiFi connection, it just doesn't rejoin.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have my wifi only cameras plug into smart plugs to restart them everyday so they don't drop out. No issue so far.

Last edited:

matthewj

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe problem relies with your firmware?
Possibly, do you know if there's a way to check camera firmware via the command line on the NVR?

I have my wifi only cameras plug into smart plugs to restart them everyday so they don't drop out. No issue so far.
This is an idea. It would require me to purchase smart plugs though, and seems slightly overkill when the cameras themselves are probably up and running fine still, just some buggy code or configuration that makes them not auto-connect.

Typical that as I post this thread the camera hasn't had a repeat of this, however I'm not home all the time so when it does happen it's clearly a pretty major security risk as somebody needs to be physically there to fix it. I wonder if somebody has managed to obtain root on the cameras. I managed it with the NVR but I'm a bit more hesitant with the cameras due to their compact electronics.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is an idea. It would require me to purchase smart plugs though, and seems slightly overkill when the cameras themselves are probably up and running fine still, just some buggy code or configuration that makes them not auto-connect.
The chance of the company to update the firmware of my $10 camera is very small and the chance of them fixing this issue is even smaller so I found my own way of eliminating the issue. Good luck to you.