Face Detection Snapshot with SD8C845FG-HNF

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy hooked me up with a great PTZ a couple of weeks ago and with the new interface with the camera the options are pretty cool. The one issue I'm having is how to find and review the Face Detections. Interesting things is it sends them to my DMSS phone app and I can see them on there but when I go into the camera or SmartPSS they are not there. I look in the Picture Query in the camera as seen below but these are short videos and not face capture, any help would be much appreciated. PS: The IVS and Face Detection work great and reviewing the events videos in Smart PSS is no problem but when I go to look for Pictures in the Playback search under Pictures it says, no pictures.
1668959753805.png

The camera setup is as follows:

1668959859472.png

1668959912078.png

1668959954111.png

BTW, I have no man made light at this location and operate on an IR only platform but checkout the options below on the PTZ's lighting ability:

1668960136465.png

If you want to make it color at night, you can light it up like daylight with this camera. The specs on the camera are below and it is a great night time performer:

1668960274733.png

Mats Frost

n3wb
Reaction score
I have also got this amazing camera, but I am still trying to figure out how to set it up to get the most out of it.
Mine is located in a rural area with not so much light pollution, so the night performance of this beauty has really made an impression on me.
I have however not yet figured out if this camera is using the newer Sony IMX585 STARVIS 2 sensor, and not the older IMX485?!
But since the preliminary datasheet that Andy published does not say anything about Starvis 2, I guess it is the old sensor, which is a bit disappointing of course.
But the low light performance is still impressive nevertheless.

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For owners of SD8C845FG-HNF this thread, how is the auto focus and auto tracking? Any stuttering / video pauses when running at 15 or more FPS with H264 set at a constant bit rate?

Last edited:

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got this PTZ the other day and have just started playing with it. Its my first PTZ so I am a newbie at it. I have settings at 15 FPS and codec 264H. It's on auto settings right now.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got this PTZ the other day and have just started playing with it. Its my first PTZ so I am a newbie at it. I have settings at 15 FPS and codec 264H. It's on auto settings right now.

Wow....... this camera video quality is amazingly sharp and clear. Maybe the best I've seen so far from watching all the videos here. I wish I can get one too. :love:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It shouldn't be any different than other other PTZ to bring into BI.

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Going to check out some of the setup threads. It has been a couple of years since I have made any changes to my system and perused this forum.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, good morning.

I was looking for a PTZ model, and I think this is the model that best fits what I was looking for. But I have some questions I would like to ask you.

The most important, the price. I don't know if you have bought this camera from Andy or from another shop, but what is the price of this device? I have been looking on the internet and there are no places where you can compare.

Another question is the colour night vision. Could one of you please post a video on the colour night vision without additional light?

I am not going to use the camera for facial recognition or to follow people or vehicles, so I don't know if there is a cheaper 8 Mpx full colour PTZ camera. If you know any camera, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, good morning.

I was looking for a PTZ model, and I think this is the model that best fits what I was looking for. But I have some questions I would like to ask you.

The most important, the price. I don't know if you have bought this camera from Andy or from another shop, but what is the price of this device? I have been looking on the internet and there are no places where you can compare.

Another question is the colour night vision. Could one of you please post a video on the colour night vision without additional light?

I am not going to use the camera for facial recognition or to follow people or vehicles, so I don't know if there is a cheaper 8 Mpx full colour PTZ camera. If you know any camera, I would appreciate it.

This is a specialty camera, so not many vendors will carry it. Andy is one of them. It sells for $2,200USD

Keep in mind that all cameras need light - either visible or infrared, so if you do not have any light or are not willing to run the camera with the spotlight on, this is the wrong camera for you.

But you have to be careful buying cameras called Full Color as many of them cannot see infrared, so then you are screwed if you don't have the light because you cannot add infrared later.

Here is a thread showing it with and without the spotlight on.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a specialty camera, so not many vendors will carry it. Andy is one of them. It sells for $2,200USD

Keep in mind that all cameras need light - either visible or infrared, so if you do not have any light or are not willing to run the camera with the spotlight on, this is the wrong camera for you.

But you have to be careful buying cameras called Full Color as many of them cannot see infrared, so then you are screwed if you don't have the light because you cannot add infrared later.

Here is a thread showing it with and without the spotlight on.

Yes, it is definitely a lot of money. The post you sent me shows a very solid camera with a lot of features.

I was thinking about this Hikvision DS-2DE7A812MCG-EB model. I currently have two cameras from this brand in 8 Mpx and ColorVu, and they are really impressive (I'm now waiting for the third camera to arrive).

The PTZ model I posted above is also hard to find online, but on Aliexpress you can find it for 900 €, which would not be the 2200 $ of the Dahua, which has more features, of course. But I'm in love with the ColorVu. :D Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely a lot of money. The post you sent me shows a very solid camera with a lot of features.

I was thinking about this Hikvision DS-2DE7A812MCG-EB model. I currently have two cameras from this brand in 8 Mpx and ColorVu, and they are really impressive (I'm now waiting for the third camera to arrive).

The PTZ model I posted above is also hard to find online, but on Aliexpress you can find it for 900 €, which would not be the 2200 $ of the Dahua, which has more features, of course. But I'm in love with the ColorVu. :D Thank you.
Are you running the cameras on auto/default settings or have you dialed them in to your field of view (faster exposure/shutter speed)?

It is easy to fall in love with ColorVu and like the nice bright static image, but then something happens and you try to freeze frame the video to get a clean picture and realize that it sucks in motion.

If you don't have enough light or not be willing to use the built in white LEDs, then the camera is useless.

Any camera can produce a nice bright static image if you slow the shutter down enough and crank up the gain.

Care to post a night video from your ColorVu with motion so we can see the amount of light you have and performance?

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you running the cameras on auto/default settings or have you dialed them in to your field of view (faster exposure/shutter speed)?

It is easy to fall in love with ColorVu and like the nice bright static image, but then something happens and you try to freeze frame the video to get a clean picture and realize that it sucks in motion.

If you don't have enough light or not be willing to use the built in white LEDs, then the camera is useless.

Any camera can produce a nice bright static image if you slow the shutter down enough and crank up the gain.

Care to post a night video from your ColorVu with motion so we can see the amount of light you have and performance?
I have a camera model DS-2CD2087G2-L together with a weather station. On this one I have the "backlight" setting with some modified manual settings.

The other one I have is a DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL model, and it is under the house with the "low light" setting but I have also had to adjust the exposure settings, because 1/3 which I think is the default setting is too low and makes the ghosting effect when a person passes by.

In both cameras there is lighting coming from the street, but it is really nice the performance they have with so little light, and the quality is very high.

I have never owned a Dahua camera before, but I am open to try them out, provided they have the same features when it comes to choosing between the two brands.

Last edited:

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj And the PTZ camera would also be for incorporation next to the weather station camera, so I wouldn't need a lot of technical features like facial recognition and tracking, but I do want it to have at least good image quality.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a camera model DS-2CD2087G2-L together with a weather station. On this one I have the "backlight" setting with some modified manual settings.
The other one I have is a DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL model, and it is under the house with the "low light" setting but I have also had to adjust the exposure settings, because 1/3 which I think is the default setting is too low and makes the ghosting effect when a person passes by.

In both cameras there is lighting coming from the street, but it is really nice the performance they have with so little light, and the quality is very high.

I have never owned a Dahua camera before, but I am open to try them out, provided they have the same features when it comes to choosing between the two brands.
It says the YouTube video isn't available.

Yeah, using backlight and and low light setting is manipulating the settings to favor a bright image. You should only use backlight after exhausting all other parameters.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik ColorVu version at night than the Dahua Full-Color version. So if you feel the Hik version is good, then you should be more impressed with the Dahua version LOL.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the Dahua version are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It says the YouTube video isn't available.

Yeah, using backlight and and low light setting is manipulating the settings to favor a bright image. You should only use backlight after exhausting all other parameters.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik ColorVu version at night than the Dahua Full-Color version. So if you feel the Hik version is good, then you should be more impressed with the Dahua version LOL.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the Dahua version are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...
Try again with this link

Of course, I may be completely abducted by Hikvision technology, because I have never really tried the Dahua cameras, they look good and I think they are a bit cheaper than the Hikvision ones. The only cameras I have tried have been the Reolink cameras, and I had to get rid of them, they are very basic cameras without any additional settings, everything is in automatic mode.

The camera that is recording at the station (and sending pictures every three minutes to a metrology service ftp) I want to leave it completely focused on the sky, where it doesn't have any artificial light, so I can lower the exposure settings to capture the maximum star map.

And the PTZ camera would be in the same position, but I could configure it to change its position every so often, so that I can send images from different positions. If I'm not mistaken, medium/high PTZ cameras can do patrols by stopping at different points.

That's why I'm asking for advice here, because I don't know if I'm really going to choose a suitable camera.