Face ID in low light, what camera do I realistically need?

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

I have Bluiris and 3 cheaper cameras two of which is out the front. Long story short they did the job at triggering when someone performed a full ou attack on all my windows on my drive way but the quality was just not good enough for Police. Im looking at putting up another 2 cameras that are especially good for night and narrowed it down to Hikvision colourVU but I cant be using the in built led as it will annoy neighbours unless I can make it only come on when trigger or another camera triggered. Im open to other options as well. I have street light conditions but not that bright.

I don't ant grainy footage it must been clear enough o identify their face, clothing and details. A deterrent is obviously needed for the fact he did this right on my door step.

Thanks,

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Even the low light cameras like colorvu and starlight need some decent light to get decent results in color. Is adding more light an option? What is your lighting situation currently?

I have a Dahua 5442 looking over my driveway, and am forced to use it in black/white during this time of year due to the red/green outside garage lights we use around Christmas time.

Toan the Moan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have recently bought a couple of 24 7 colour type cameras the Hikvision Colour Vu is impressive . Some good info here on the cameras features and abilities with no assist lighting.

Daniel Ripley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. The video is impressive but its showing 2nd Gen ColourVU. I cant find many places that sell them in the UK very hard to find, they sell to companies not to individuals. These are from what I can see are £200+ cant find a comparison of G1 vs G2? I also wonder what the smaller cheaper Hikvision ColourVu are like in comparison. Another thing Im wondering is how I can make use of some of the features like the smart light motion detection when using Blueiris?

Thanks,
Dan

Toan the Moan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. The video is impressive but its showing 2nd Gen ColourVU. I cant find many places that sell them in the UK very hard to find, they sell to companies not to individuals. These are from what I can see are £200+ cant find a comparison of G1 vs G2? I also wonder what the smaller cheaper Hikvision ColourVu are like in comparison. Another thing Im wondering is how I can make use of some of the features like the smart light motion detection when using Blueiris?

Thanks,
Dan
Just get a g1or g2, the G2 as far as I have read is better and more accurate at motion detection. I bought a load of hik vision from here but I had to set up an online account which was easy enough. £131 for the G2 and 130 for the G1 inc delivery. IP ColorVu | Buy Online | CCTV Direct Online

I also bought a Dahua full colour which I'm very pleased with, not as good in the dark as the Hik vision but was only £60. Needs it's led assist light on in the pitch black but works well with it on. 4MP Eagle Full Colour Fixed Lens IP Network Turret Camera (White) POE OYN-X Dahua EAGLE4C-IP-TUR-FW

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The main problem with face ID is how the camera is mounted and the type of lens. For good face ID at any distance use a 6MM lens. The camera must be mounted lower than 7 ft (2 Meters) up. If the camera is mounted on the soffit it will not work.

Test the camera before mounting, use the 2x4 buck of rocks test mount. Test at night with motion, the "bad guy" wearing a hoodie and looking down. One of the best face ID mounts I have seen is in a garden light (1 foot up) point up.

A major security areas need to be covered by a minimum of two cameras, Two cameras mounted on the garage, pointing down the driveway, one on each side of the door no higher than the top of the door. House front door , one mounted pointing down to the package drop area, one at the door bell height, point out.

For a first good camera is a variable focus 5442.

IPC-HDW5442t-ZE Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Last edited: