Fairly new to ip cams...advice requested please. Thanks!

Amy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to ip cams- although I've had some foscams around for a few years. I've never managed to get them to record, etc- mainly used them to monitor the kids rooms, front door, etc. throughout the day. My foscams are finally beginning to kick the bucket and I'm looking to get a wired system. I've searched and searched and read a lot on these forums. I think I've settled on one system but wanted some advice. Has anyone used this Lorex? 2K IP Security Camera System with 8 Channel NVR and 8 HD Outdoor 4MP Cameras, 130ft night vision

Is this a decent deal. With the discount they are currently running, it comes to about $586 for the whole system.

Thanks for any input!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to ip cams- although I've had some foscams around for a few years. I've never managed to get them to record, etc- mainly used them to monitor the kids rooms, front door, etc. throughout the day. My foscams are finally beginning to kick the bucket and I'm looking to get a wired system. I've searched and searched and read a lot on these forums. I think I've settled on one system but wanted some advice. Has anyone used this Lorex? 2K IP Security Camera System with 8 Channel NVR and 8 HD Outdoor 4MP Cameras, 130ft night vision

Is this a decent deal. With the discount they are currently running, it comes to about $586 for the whole system.

Thanks for any input!
Welcome Amy,

I'm certain that kit will do significantly better than the older cameras you have.

If you are not in a hurry to replace the cameras and can take some time: I would highly recommend reviewing what your functional goals are as often just buying something on sale may not fully meet your needs.

Example - Think about buying a car on sale, there's always more functional needs to consider - mpg, no of passengers, costs, reliability, off road, ..

A good question to ask yourself: "Do I need better low light cameras? or daylight cameras?" "Do you park on the street?" ( and thus would need a varifocal camera to watch where you park ) ..

Also, Lorex seems to always have some sort of 10-15% off deal going. Granted this may change as the brand was recently sold to Dahua, however I believe there is no reason to hurry on the sales they've currently got listed.

If you can wait a bit and think about what you need, I think you can find a better deal - even if from Lorex ( example last BF-cyberweek - Christmas season they had some really nice deals )

If you need low light cameras you want to look closer at the Dahua OEM starlights series of cameras - some members here get a Lorex kit and add a couple of those to the kit, others go for a Dahua OEM NVR + Dahua starlight cameras, and others go for a i5/i7 PC w/Blue Iris + external IP PoE switch + cameras, ... lots of ways to find something which works ( Hikvision OEM is also another option - tho currently Dahua seems to have become more favored by many here due to the low light cameras they came out with )

Also remember to checkout the notes Giomania has assembled from the vast amount of great information which members here have been sharing:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk