False alarm discussion

Wonder_70

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a low cost camera for outdoor security (my backyard...), and gets a lot of false alarms (leafs, bugs, whether...). ]Just thought, is there a cloud based service that will reduce the false alarms dramatically?
Can you recommend a camera with low false alarms (1-2 only...)

Thanks

The Wonder_70

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
record continuously, use motion detection supplementally only for flagging potential events on timeline, and use a real security system for alerts..

your doing it wrong; aint nothing going to help your camera stop alerting you that pixels are changing when infact pixels are changing all the damn time outside regardless if someone is there or not..

Even 1-2 False Alarms a day is far too much; go read about boy whom called wolf.. When seconds count and your reaction is important, you cant be second guessing your system is just fucking with you.

Wonder_70

n3wb
Reaction score
nayr
thanks for answering. So in order to remove false alarms I understand that a camera isn't enough?
Do you think a more expensive camera like Nest / Canari will solve it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think a more expensive camera like Nest / Canari will solve it?
not even close, go spend a couple grand on a camera and you'll still be in the same boat.. yet a single outdoor motion motion sensor will do the job, and do it right.. because thats what it was designed for.. cameras are not designed to alert you to problems, trained security guards watching the cameras are..

Motion Detection was invented to save disk space when nothing was happening; not for letting you know every time something moves outside.. and now disk space is soo cheap it has only one viable use left: Save time scrubbing timelines for potential activity.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Wonder_70,

Welcome to the forum!

You're learning what many newbies learn, ie: that the marketing hype of "Motion Detect" doesn't pan out in the real (outside) world. I learned the hard way....
MD stinks for outdoors.
PIR is better.
PIR + Radar is even better. (eg: Bosch ODB850)
Try a laser line at the entrance to your yard. You've seen them at the entrance to a retail store.

Do some research. Enter this into your google search box: motion detect, false alarms, pir, site:ipcamtalk.com
You'll get search results from this site. More importantly, you'll not get results from sites selling things, or way off topic from what you wanna learn.

You'll learn what others have experienced with MD.

The problem, as nayr said, is that pixels change with light. It's Physics.
Nest, Canari, etc. They all use those pesky pixels.

Fastb

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having pretty good luck with line crossing detection. Motion detection was close to useless, triggered by rain, snow, flying birds, passing cloud shadows, etc. I'm getting very few false triggers with line crossing, and missed events are pretty rare.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lol just wait until it snows or rains ton of false alerts. there isn't anything you can do but you can scan through pretty easily and see what needs to be looked at. Just look at the snapshot photo under the alerts tab.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm having pretty good luck with line crossing detection. Motion detection was close to useless, triggered by rain, snow, flying birds, passing cloud shadows, etc. I'm getting very few false triggers with line crossing, and missed events are pretty rare.
Think I will try this out.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Camit,

look for "IVS", "Smart Detect", "trip wire", "intrusion zone", "line crossing", etc.
Not all cameras have those capabilities. It calls from more processing power in the cam, meaning higher price.
Marketing blurbs tout MD will alert you to intruders, and the low price is attractive.
And when a bird intrudes, or a cloud shadow, the camera alerts you to the intruder.
For indoors, say an office after hours, MD is fine. Unless headlights occasionally shine through the window....

If you can, return that low cost camera asap.....

Fastb

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camit,

look for "IVS", "Smart Detect", "trip wire", "intrusion zone", "line crossing", etc.
Not all cameras have those capabilities. It calls from more processing power in the cam, meaning higher price.
Marketing blurbs tout MD will alert you to intruders, and the low price is attractive.
And when a bird intrudes, or a cloud shadow, the camera alerts you to the intruder.
For indoors, say an office after hours, MD is fine. Unless headlights occasionally shine through the window....

Fastb
Thank you sir for the update . I have no cheap cameras a mix a dahua and hik .. and 3 recycled reolinks

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@Camit
My mistake. I thought you were the OP.
@Wonder70,
My comments above were meant for you, the Original Poster....

Sorry for any confusion,
Fastb

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Camit
My mistake. I thought you were the OP.
@Wonder70,
My comments above were meant for you, the Original Poster....

Sorry for any confusion,
Fastb
Np I learned something I'm happy it's all good !

Wonder_70

n3wb
Reaction score
All,
Thanks for answers, I learn a lot from here.
cameras are not designed to alert you to problems, trained security guards watching the cameras are..
This sounds good, is there a service that a guard could watch through my outdoor camera in order to get rid of all false alarms?
I mean it is closest to a real guard in the backyard. what do you think? It sounds interesting
Wonder_70

Wonder_70

n3wb
Reaction score
Camit,

Fastb
Camit,
Thanks - very good insight. indeed blurbs are misleading in this case. I am sure that a guard will solve it...

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty much every software I've used has false alarms including my BI setup. Experimenting with crossing is your best bet.

Reaction score
I am sure that a guard will solve it...
More than accurate, after trying more than a few motion detection and suffer from false alarms, I agree with wonder_70, that if someone could be a guard it will be great.
What do you think?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All,
Thanks for answers, I learn a lot from here.

This sounds good, is there a service that a guard could watch through my outdoor camera in order to get rid of all false alarms?
I mean it is closest to a real guard in the backyard. what do you think? It sounds interesting
Wonder_70
There are guys on here whom do remote video monitoring services, @bababouy does it and sends scum bags to jail on a regular basis.. However usually these are used by commercial entities because they really are weighing the costs of hiring a guard to sit on-site all night long vs cost of contracting a remote company to watch all the feeds, im sure its very cost effective in this case but for residential monitoring might be too steep for most people to consider.

Reaction score
nayr - why to steep? Is it a price issue? privacy can be kept when people are not in their house... to provide "almost a guard" for the "dead times"

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you were to hire a guard to sit onsite 8h a night 7 days a week you'd be paying at least $35k a year for an untrained person, and several times that for anyone w/actual training and licensed to openly carry a firearm... and really you need more than 1 person because that guy needs vacation/sickdays/weekends/etc.. so more than likely your going to contract through a security staffing company for $50k+ a year and the'll send guys out and skim there paychecks.

Thats the costs these remote monitoring services are competing with; I suspect even for residential use its going to end up with a muli-thousand dollar a year contract... even $10k a year looks like a hell of a deal if it gets the same results to having that onsite guard