Fanless, headless PC question

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,
I'm considering this i7 7500u fanless PC for my 6 camera install. I'm currently running a Dell laptop i5; it runs around 30% CPU. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdel-Desktop-Computer-i7-7500U-4096x2304/dp/B01NAMFKJL/ref=pd_ybh_a_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=49Z3BZN461ZESAMZD98M

Don
that is crazy overpriced...ideally you should have a desktop with a local drive recording...you can get an desktop with much more power than that system for 300 or less.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that is crazy overpriced...ideally you should have a desktop with a local drive recording...you can get an desktop with much more power than that system for 300 or less.

Thanks. This is fanless, seems to have excellent reviews, and does have a local SSD drive.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. This is fanless, seems to have excellent reviews, and does have a local SSD drive.
So where would the hard drive go for video clip storage? Doesn't appear to have room and would generate heat (or be heated) inside the case even if there WAS room. A SSD that could possibly fit is not recommended for that job and would cost another $250 - $300 for just a 1TB.
So you try an external surveillance-rated hard drive (i.e. WD Purple) on the USB and now you've got an AC adapter (laptop style) hanging off of it and a 3.5 hard drive in a case hanging off a USB port (a drive which has its own wall wart power supply!) so now that not-so-inexpensive fanless/headless PC doesn't appear to be so tiny and uncluttered any more.

+1 for @fenderman's suggestion.

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the wisdom. Some more info on my situation:
  • The server is in the master bedroom, so silence is key.
  • The unit comes with a 256GB SSD drive included. This is what I also use in my current laptop; it's plenty.
  • I keep the db on the SSD drive, but I have a 2T NAS for file storage
So back to my original question: What are your thoughts about performance? It seems from the reading I've done here and elsewhere that the i7 7500u will make a big difference.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the wisdom. Some more info on my situation:
  • The server is in the master bedroom, so silence is key.
  • The unit comes with a 256GB SSD drive included. This is what I also use in my current laptop; it's plenty.
  • I keep the db on the SSD drive, but I have a 2T NAS for file storage
So back to my original question: What are your thoughts about performance? It seems from the reading I've done here and elsewhere that the i7 7500u will make a big difference.
A big difference compared to what? The "u" i7s are relatively weak. May not be much if any better than your i5 unless the latter is older. As others have said, you're paying a high premium for form factor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The fans on modern pc are virtually silent..you cannot hear it..I have an hp elitedesk tower with an i7-6700 that is silent unless you put your ear on it...the ssd in that system ere is valued at 90 dollars...the pc is underpowered...its akin to a modern i3 desktop...if you insist on paying double the price and making it easy to remove from the premesis, then wait for the NUC's to start selling with the new eighth gen laptop processors...they i5 and i7 in the eighth gen laptop series will have 4 cores.