Fast deployment, portable indoor video surveillance?

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hope that title was close enough...

New member here, long time lurker. Lots of great information...

I'm interested in options/recommendations/discussion for a simple video surveillance system with the following feature set. Intent is to set it up for a person to get *easy* access to either live or recorded (motion) video remotely. Easy meaning the lowest common denominator of user (I assume VPN access will probably not be an option, sorry nayr... :)). Time frame of use probably a few days. User should be reasonably assured that only they will have access to the system (e.g. during setup the user will create a password for access to the system--"selling" feature). Assumption is that they have internet of course.

1) Indoor only (house)
2) Not covert (this is for obvious video observation, not in anyway security related)
3) 2 cam coverage at most, maybe just one cam (I know, Dahua, right? LOL) Single room coverage
4) Easy remote access for user
5) Assurance of destruction of any saved video--with option of archiving it for the person. (save to another device, delete original)

Ah, what application? I've been considering doing some pet sitting on the side. I figured a competitive marketing approach would be to offer dedicated video surveillance during the length of the pet sitting service, easy setup by me, easy access for owner. Easy removal when done, save video for owner if wanted, otherwise it's deleted. No cost to owner for permanent setup.

You'll hear the stories of sitters that didn't stay long enough, didn't show up as promised, etc. Obviously, a pet owner might have their own home video surveillance, but I'm sure many don't, and as any pet owner on this forum would probably agree with, knowing that your pet is being properly cared for is paramount.

So anyway, I'm sure there are scenarios I'm not considering.

Especially interested in the perception of those that "others" might consider paranoid, of having someone setup video surveillance in your living room... :)) But try to imagine the average person with pets that isn't tech savvy, and just wants to see their pet(s) being taken care of...

Thanks for ideas, suggestions, discussion...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision Cube 4MP Camera w/PIR, likely using P2P so you dont needa make any changes to the network.. they gonna have to let you on there wifi at least

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While using nest cams for general surveillance makes me want to puke, for this specific application I would go with nest cam...you are going to have a hell of a time getting folks to setup and use the hikvision app..