Feed BI with video from another PC

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I know you can buy encoders that convert HDMI or other video feeds into H.264 or H.265, but I was wondering if anyone knew of software, to run on a PC, that would take the video being shown on that PC, and do the encoding, and then potentially feed it to the local network where it could be "seen" by a different PC running BI. It might require a separate ethernet adapter, but that's not a problem.

The idea is to integrate the ability to view not only security cameras, but also some "human machine interface" screens from a SCADA/PLC system. This would be pretty nifty for us, and seems like it should be do-able.

Blue Iris would just see this feed as if it was another security camera.

I'll also pester the forum for the programmable automation controllers we use, and see if anyone there has done this. It seems like a common thing people would want to do so they can monitor plant operations right along with their security cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can buy encoders that convert HDMI or other video feeds into H.264 or H.265, but I was wondering if anyone knew of software, to run on a PC, that would take the video being shown on that PC, and do the encoding, and then potentially feed it to the local network where it could be "seen" by a different PC running BI. It might require a separate ethernet adapter, but that's not a problem.

The idea is to integrate the ability to view not only security cameras, but also some "human machine interface" screens from a SCADA/PLC system. This would be pretty nifty for us, and seems like it should be do-able.

Blue Iris would just see this feed as if it was another security camera.

I'll also pester the forum for the programmable automation controllers we use, and see if anyone there has done this. It seems like a common thing people would want to do so they can monitor plant operations right along with their security cameras.
See this post by @TonyR Desktop as ONVIF camera! Alternative to DeskCamera?
Deskcamera is the cleanest way to go.