Feedback on camera location for a house.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need feedback on my proposed layout for a house security system for a family member.

I was initially planning on going with a full Unifi system, from networking to security, but the pricing of all the gear needed would have exceeded my budget. Therefore, I ended up researching alternative options. I decided to use Omada for networking and initially chose Reolink for security cameras. However, after extensive research, I decided to go with Dahua or Hikvision cameras instead, as they offer better performance for the money.

I'm considering two options for the cameras:
  1. Running an NVR from Dahua/Hikvision
  2. Running Blue Iris (BI) on a PC with a VPN for remote access
Here is the proposed networking layout:

My current dilemma is which camera to choose. I read that megapixels (MP) are not everything and the choice depends on specific needs.

Requirements:
  • Ability to identify or capture clear footage of anyone or anything approaching the property.
  • Good night vision capabilities, preferably without the need for visible light, as there are streetlights nearby but it is super well lit the street. We do plan on running exterior lights for a certain period of time at night, but have them shutoff at specific time to save electricity cost.
  • No need for speakers on the cameras.
  • Good weather resistance.
  • If possible, I would like all cameras to be turret style just for aesthetics reasons.
Here is my proposed layout. With the red dots being camera and the blue one being a doorbell cam

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good thing you skipped the Reolinks!

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

NVR versus BI is a heated topic LOL.

Here is the search tool of all the NVR versus BI comparisons. I suggest you spend some time looking at those and then deciding which one is best for your use case.

blue iris vs nvr ip cam site:ipcamtalk.com - Google Search

Reaction score
Good thing you skipped the Reolinks!

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

NVR versus BI is a heated topic LOL.

Here is the search tool of all the NVR versus BI comparisons. I suggest you spend some time looking at those and then deciding which one is best for your use case.

blue iris vs nvr ip cam site:ipcamtalk.com - Google Search
Yeah I saw that post on previous post with similar question as mine. I decided that for the main door I would get the EmpireTech IPC Color 4k paired with probably the Reolink doorbell cam. My only issue with some of your recommendation is that I would prefer if it was turret cameras instead of bullet ones.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately for some distances, only a bullet or PTZ is available.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need feedback on my proposed layout for a house security system for a family member.

I was initially planning on going with a full Unifi system, from networking to security, but the pricing of all the gear needed would have exceeded my budget. Therefore, I ended up researching alternative options. I decided to use Omada for networking and initially chose Reolink for security cameras. However, after extensive research, I decided to go with Dahua or Hikvision cameras instead, as they offer better performance for the money.

I'm considering two options for the cameras:
  1. Running an NVR from Dahua/Hikvision
  2. Running Blue Iris (BI) on a PC with a VPN for remote access
Here is the proposed networking layout:

My current dilemma is which camera to choose. I read that megapixels (MP) are not everything and the choice depends on specific needs.

Requirements:
  • Ability to identify or capture clear footage of anyone or anything approaching the property.
  • Good night vision capabilities, preferably without the need for visible light, as there are streetlights nearby but it is super well lit the street. We do plan on running exterior lights for a certain period of time at night, but have them shutoff at specific time to save electricity cost.
  • No need for speakers on the cameras.
  • Good weather resistance.
  • If possible, I would like all cameras to be turret style just for aesthetics reasons.
Here is my proposed layout. With the red dots being camera and the blue one being a doorbell cam
Looks good the layout for cameras .. I would want to also get coverage on that side door entrance.

Remember to test positions you are considering before drilling any holes.

Reaction score
Looks good the layout for cameras .. I would want to also get coverage on that side door entrance.

Remember to test positions you are considering before drilling any holes.
That is a storage area or are you talking about the front side door? One thing we discussed was that whether or not to install interior cameras watching the two front door and 1 watching the backyard sliding glass door.

My opinion was that it was unnecessary and kind of weird having interior cam, but at least the wife is adamant that she wants it while the husband does not care. So I am also looking for interior cams