Fiber optic questions

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am considering running a fiber optic line to a building that is a little over 300 ft. away. Copper would work but I would like to experiment with fiber.

I would want to order a pre made cable. My ISP is a small local provider and they might make one up and sell me. Also, I would like recommendations of an online vendor that would do the same. I really don’t know what to ask for regarding end connectors or media converters.

Can I buy a direct burial cable and how many sets of fiber do I need? Do I need to buy extras?

I would appreciate any information that would point me in the right direction.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is LOS (Line of Sight) not available between the 2 locations or you would not consider a wireless Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent bridge?
Yes, I have good line of sight. And I had considered that. Is that fairly simple to set up?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically plug and play. No need for converters to go from fiber to copper that way, either.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of every page. Read the Cliff Notes on a real computer, not a phone or tablet. There's tons of other information in the WiKi as well that will prove very useful, save you time, save you money in the end and save a lot of frustration.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ubiquiti radios are by FAR the cheaper and easier way to go, if you have electric power there already. If you're going to run power out there, then you might as well run fiber too. fs.com (fiberstore) is a good place to look. I would suggest OM3 fiber, maybe armored, though it costs more. You will want at least two strands, as most transceivers require two. I'd run a spare pair just to be safe. Get it with LC connectors. They are by far the most common kind.