Field of view and aspect ratio with new colorvu cameras

drmattb

n3wb
Reaction score
I have replaced 4 DS-2CD2335FWD-I cameras with 2CD2347G2-LU ColorVU cameras. They are all 2.8mm and in exactly the same mounting positions. Obviously the new cameras have a larger CMOS sensor and 4MP rather than 3MP. I do not understand why the field of view has changed considerably - particularly with the new cameras having a much reduced vertical field of view. I attach two snapshots from before and after.

Can anyone explain / guide me here?

Garage-20210821-143918.jpgGarage-20210821-143855.jpg

drmattb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Interesting how if I crop the 4:3 to 16:9 I get almost the same view as the new camera, but missing quite a lot of the area I would prefer in the picture. There is of course a little extra on the upper left in the new camera, although that it is not much use. I did not appreciate the cameras had different aspect ratios. I think I would have been better upgrading to a camera with similar aspect ratio to the old one. Similar on my gopro - often preferableto shoot in 4:3 with max lens and then crop as needed.

Cropped image from old camera:

Garage-2.jpg

nelgnl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Physically turn your camera 90 degrees (so on the mount itself). After this turn the screen 90 degrees by logging in to the camera interface.

Not a joke. I did this before to a camera and for me it worked out!