Field of View from Picture?

John Esher

n3wb
Reaction score
We just moved and I'm trying to set up my old cameras in their new locations. I have two placed, at least temporarily, and want to get two more. But I'm unsure of the focal length I need – 2.8 or 4mm.

If I climb up the ladder and position my iPhone where I'd like to place the camera, is there any software (or manual masking method) to obtain an approximate view of what I'd see with the different focal length cameras? Or will it not work because I can't change the focal length of the iPhone? Maybe I should use a DSLR...

Granted, I guess I could make an extra long cable and string it through the window and take down one of my old ones, but I don't currently have a 2.8mm

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What cameras are you looking at? for focal length is not the only measure to determine field of view...yes for the same camera 2.8 will be wider than 4..but you cannot compare two cameras that dont use the same sensors...

John Esher

n3wb
Reaction score
Zxel, thanks for that link, I had been there.

Fenderman, I don't have any specific one just yet.

I'm just trying to figure out what the FOV would look like from under the eave on the side of the house. With my specific view in the frame. Numbers on a tape don't cut it for me. Just trying to minimize the trips up and down the ladder (not a fan of heights) and having to return a camera because the view is too restricted or too wide.

I guess i was was thinking of something like a filter or crop in image editing software.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What iPhone and camera model are you using? I'm willing to do the math for you to translate the phone pic into the camera pic, but no guarantees on accuracy (have to cover my butt). :cool:

John Esher

n3wb
Reaction score
What iPhone and camera model are you using? I'm willing to do the math for you to translate the phone pic into the camera pic, but no guarantees on accuracy (have to cover my butt). :cool:
An iPhone 5 and I'm looking at something in the 4mm and 2.8mm range. I have Hik's now, but I'm not adverse to trying a Dahua...

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can do this more or less. 2.8 is about 90 degrees horizontally and 4 mm is 70. Your iphone is tighter than either one. Stand on a ladder and eyeball something to your left and your right. If it's a driveway, for example, the driveway is likely to come off the house at a perpendicual 90 degree angle, so you can figure out what you'll have, or hold your hands at an angle. Or stich two images from your iphone together and cut 90 and 70 degree snippets from the combined pic.

You could also read this, though it's heavy in geek factor http://www.wired.com/2013/05/calculating-the-angular-view-of-an-iphone/

This is awesome: http://www.boinx.com/chronicles/2013/3/22/field-of-view-fov-of-cameras-in-ios-devices/

John Esher

n3wb
Reaction score
You can do this more or less. 2.8 is about 90 degrees horizontally and 4 mm is 70. Your iphone is tighter than either one. Or stich two images from your iphone together and cut 90 and 70 degree snippets from the combined pic.
Hmm, I think I'll go up and take a panorama shot approximating 90 and 70 degrees.

Thanks!

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can do this more or less. 2.8 is about 90 degrees horizontally and 4 mm is 70. Your iphone is tighter than either one. Stand on a ladder and eyeball something to your left and your right. If it's a driveway, for example, the driveway is likely to come off the house at a perpendicual 90 degree angle, so you can figure out what you'll have, or hold your hands at an angle. Or stich two images from your iphone together and cut 90 and 70 degree snippets from the combined pic.

You could also read this, though it's heavy in geek factor http://www.wired.com/2013/05/calculating-the-angular-view-of-an-iphone/

This is awesome: http://www.boinx.com/chronicles/2013/3/22/field-of-view-fov-of-cameras-in-ios-devices/
That last link IS awesome, you did it better than I could. Thank You. :D