Find cameras BI knows about

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I setup BI with 15 IP cameras and open each in a desktop frame, then close BI and reopen some cams dont come back.. If I try to recreate cam, BI says name must be unique, so it still knows about lost cam but I cant find it.. how do you list all cams BI knows about and select to show missing?
Thanks!
running Win10 if it matters

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I setup BI with 15 IP cameras and open each in a desktop frame, then close BI and reopen some cams dont come back.. If I try to recreate cam, BI says name must be unique, so it still knows about lost cam but I cant find it.. how do you list all cams BI knows about and select to show missing?
Thanks!
running Win10 if it matters
why are you doing this? what is the point of putting them all in the desktop frame...
your cams must be hidden behind the interface or you have set them as hidden cams...right click and select show hidden cameras, and minimize the interface to find them.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no hidden cams, I am doing it becuase it is a much more efficient use of monitor real estate, no interface borders, cams use all available real estate and UI gets shoved off screen. Plus since you can have multiple monitors, some landscape and some portrait, the UI wont fit the array.
one other question, is there a way to save all those desktop frame position to a file? If you export a .reg it doesnt remember window positions..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no hidden cams, I am doing it becuase it is a much more efficient use of monitor real estate, no interface borders, cams use all available real estate and UI gets shoved off screen. Plus since you can have multiple monitors, some landscape and some portrait, the UI wont fit the array.
one other question, is there a way to save all those desktop frame position to a file? If you export a .reg it doesnt remember window positions..
you do know that you can simply select maximize screen and it will do the same, no ui...

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would if there was a way to save desktop frame window layouts i would, but I dont think there is.. and it just takes too long to get it laid out manually, but thanks for the help. after shutting machine down and starting BI those missing windows came back inside BI UI.. just restarting BI didnt do it, thanks for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would if there was a way to save desktop frame window layouts i would, but I dont think there is.. and it just takes too long to get it laid out manually, but thanks for the help. after shutting machine down and starting BI those missing windows came back inside BI UI.. just restarting BI didnt do it, thanks for the help!
first why are your monitors not in the same orientation..second, what happens when you maximize BI?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mons are orintated to fit physical space I have for them and if you max BI UI it goes max on primary display.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
mons are orintated to fit physical space I have for them and if you max BI UI it goes max on primary display.
what happens to the secondary display? did you tell windows that the second display is portrait?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
secondary shows cams since they are in frames, windows is what made the orentation of all displays in the first place.

Carver

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a fan of desktop frames. The positions & dimensions are saved under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\<Camera Name>\WindowMetrics
where <Camera Name> is the name of the corresponding camera. Each camera has its own reg key.

But beware of just importing the whole Cameras.reg file. This may cause serious trouble with BI. Clean the .reg file up before. The only entries per camera that should remain are the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\<Camera Name>\WindowMetrics]
"Width"=dword:<your value>
"Height"=dword:<your value>
"Left"=dword:<your value>
"Top"=dword:<your value>

You may think: instead of cleaning up i simply export each camera name separately. Wrong! One level up in that registry key are some settings e.g. "frame" which could change while using BI.

Import the cleaned up .reg file and restart BI.
This way I've restored sucessfully an accidentally messed up desktop frame layout.

Last edited:

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Carver,
I think this is a feature BI should have such that you can just click a button and it exports the correct data you can then save it and reload it at any time, how do I request a feature like this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Carver,
I think this is a feature BI should have such that you can just click a button and it exports the correct data you can then save it and reload it at any time, how do I request a feature like this?
Email support..