Finding Model number without removing the camera to physically check?

Reaction score
I have been searching with no luck. Is there a way to find the model number of a Dahua camera via the ConfigTool software or the web interface? I have checked the Settings->Information->Version but there is no model number listed (there is a serial number).
I purchased this from EMPIRETECANDY back in 2018/2019 but cannot find the related information (email/receipt/etc).
Thank you,
Beachcomber

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i think the config tool.
i have both the amcrest config tool and the
dahua config tool. I think i recall seeing the correct Amcrest Model#'s with the Amcrst cfg tool, and possibly some of the Dahua's
but usually the correct model#'s on the Dahua cfg tool. but i have newer camera's. 5442's 5421 etc etc
heres a glimpse of amcrst cfg tool running at home. Shows model #
Screenshot 2022-01-06 204759.png

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply! I checked the config tool and it only shows "IP Camera" as the model number in the list. Others in the list of my cameras show an actual model number. Wondering if it is buried elsewhere in the software? I'd prefer not to remove the camera to check as it is in a difficult area to access.
Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.
Beachcomber

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If not showing in the web interface of the cam, then probably not. I think the Config Tool pulls it from that same information (or lack thereof).

Still have the box around somewhere?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have an NVR connected, look in the 'IPC upgrade' tab in 'Registration'. It has the model numbers, even if the camera is ONVIF connected.
1641526373886.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind,
  • The Dahua 49225 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Countless other instances where the camera simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1641526823927.png

Reaction score
Awesome - See attached. It was white to begin with, but I painted the front black.
Let me know your thoughts - looking to upgrade/update firmware.
Sorry for not providing full details: Full metal if I recall correctly. Motorized lens. 2mp

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been searching with no luck. Is there a way to find the model number of a Dahua camera via the ConfigTool software or the web interface? I have checked the Settings->Information->Version but there is no model number listed (there is a serial number).
I purchased this from EMPIRETECANDY back in 2018/2019 but cannot find the related information (email/receipt/etc).
Thank you,
Beachcomber

What about the information listed adjacent to the rest of the items in the list. You would figure one ID the model based on one or a combination:

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 23.30.59.png

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have mentioned this before, that it would be nice, if Dahua would include the model number in the above picture, that NightLife has posted.
After a few years, I can't remember which model number do I have.
I care less about Onvif version, or serial number, than the model number.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The photo idea brings to mind a simple idea which may help us as our cameras proliferate - keep our own data bases. Even if that's just an email to ourselves (I send notes to myself over email regarding things I'd rather not forget all the time). Take a photo of the camera mounted, and just email it to your own account with the model number or serial number as the subject. An effortless search of your email 3 yrs forward would immediately find the photo, AND reveal the location. There are much slicker ways to achieve the same end, but I'm a bit of a Luddite. :wtf:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I was addressing the idea of not only having a 'list' of cameras, but having a running tally which includes not a stock image but a photo of the camera in it's final installation location on one's property.

I'm always surprised at how many guys keep spreadsheets on things. I never got into doing that, but I see it all the time in various disciplines around the web. Like I said a million ways to skin this cat. Some slick as hell, and some pretty darned rudimentary.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I put the model number and last two digits of the IP as an overlay below the date/time. That way I can see easily whenever. More for IP but with a bunch of them I forget what's where sometimes so handy to have model there too. I usually reduce the time font size anyway so it doesn't take much if any more space than the default. And that saves in exports so I know which clips came from which cam when going back through things later.

Also my router will dump a list of clients with name, MAC, IP, and other info to a .csv file. Usually name and/or add a description to them in the router and can annotate as needed in Excel or whatever. Update that now and then when I add/move things.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put the model number and last two digits of the IP as an overlay below the date/time. That way I can see easily whenever. More for IP but with a bunch of them I forget what's where sometimes so handy to have model there too. I usually reduce the time font size anyway so it doesn't take much if any more space than the default. And that saves in exports so I know which clips came from which cam when going back through things later.

Also my router will dump a list of clients with name, MAC, IP, and other info to a .csv file. Usually name and/or add a description to them in the router and can annotate as needed in Excel or whatever. Update that now and then when I add/move things.

Annnd queue .. slick as hell approach!! That's awesome Mike. :headbang: