Fios router added, now issues with Blue Iris

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Everything was fine on my LAN with 12 dahua IP cameras and symmetricalGigabit with a Fios ONT modem and my gigabit netgear router

Yesterday I got there TV service and they put their Fios G3100 router in.

My netgear with got bumped to second position with the lan port from the 3100 going to the wan port of my netgear

I had to change the 3100 lan from its default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 so my netgear and all the LAN IP camera would play nice

The problem is this:

My remote cameras all show up IN BI but not the lan cameras. I always use the WAN IP as the address.

I tested using 192.168.1.25:1544 and it populated but now with the WAN

But If I am at my upstate house using BI, would I see these cameras?

I use port forwarding on the netgear but since the netgear is in second position does port forwarding still work?

Any help appreciated

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What I and lots of other have done with their past routers is to put my own router up front and theirs behind it. I think that the G3100 router will work in the same way assuming that you have twisted pair from the ONT to the router and coax to the STBs (vs their newest router/STBs).

All that the STBs need is outside access to the Internet to periodically download the directory and for some other out-going functions. You can provide that by putting the FIOS router inside of your network with your primary router set as the gateway. I generally also put it on a separate subnet to keep things a little more segregated.

What won't work then are incoming services. Remote DVR programming, using their app to control things, etc. It also will kill Verizon's ability to do their remote diagnostics on the router. But they're used to people using their own now and they still will provide support. (Technically you can make incoming services work but you'll have open up a huge range of incoming ports so kind of offsets any benefit.)

This way you don't have to change anything on your side and the TV services will be happy and out of the way on their own segment. What you also then can do is to setup VPN access on your router instead of port forwarding,

Last edited:

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I and lots of other have done with their past routers is to put my own router up front and theirs behind it. I think that the G3100 router will work in the same way assuming that you have twisted pair from the ONT to the router and coax to the STBs (vs their newest router/STBs).

All that the STBs need is outside access to the Internet to periodically download the directory and for some other out-going functions. You can provide that by putting the FIOS router inside of your network with your primary router set as the gateway. I generally also put it on a separate subnet to keep things a little more segregated.

What won't work then are incoming services. Remote DVR programming, using their app to control things, etc. It also will kill Verizon's ability to do their remote diagnostics on the router. But they're used to people using their own now and they still will provide support. (Technically you can make incoming services work but you'll have open up a huge range of incoming ports so kind of offsets any benefit.)

This way you don't have to change anything on your side and the TV services will be happy and out of the way on their own segment. What you also then can do is to setup VPN access on your router instead of port forwarding,
Thank you so much.

I already have a VPN that I sometimes use installed on my PC. With my netgear router how might I do this and if so I use which IP asddress in BI and I suppose disable Port forwarding and the equipment I explained above stays as is?

I can build PCs but subnets and gateways I just don't understand

Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have FiOs and use an Asus router with a MOCA adapter for the TVs. Works fine and no Verizon router, or monthly for one, in the house.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I already have a VPN that I sometimes use installed on my PC. With my netgear router how might I do this and if so I use which IP asddress in BI and I suppose disable Port forwarding and the equipment I explained above stays as is?

I can build PCs but subnets and gateways I just don't understand

Thank you
I think you're talking about a different type of VPN. This will be incoming to your network not outgoing like NordVPN or whatever. You'd set it up on your router (likely OpenVPN) to provide a secured, encrypted connection to your network from the outside via your phone or other device.

Gateways and subnets are part of the network setup. Look on the G3100 and you should see. You'd put the IP of your router as the gateway. For subnet, say if your network is 192.168.1.x, then you could set up the FIOS side as 192.168.0.x.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you're talking about a different type of VPN. This will be incoming to your network not outgoing like NordVPN or whatever. You'd set it up on your router (likely OpenVPN) to provide a secured, encrypted connection to your network from the outside via your phone or other device.

Gateways and subnets are part of the network setup. Look on the G3100 and you should see. You'd put the IP of your router as the gateway. For subnet, say if your network is 192.168.1.x, then you could set up the FIOS side as 192.168.0.x.

Hi mike

I did that made the 3100 primary with 192.168.0.1 and the netgear on the backend 192.168.1.1 even My Plex media server port fowards but BI won't. the only way to view my LOCAL cameras is by using 192.168.1.4444:4555 for example not the WAN as it was before the 3100 came into the mix

Also the 3100 is connected to the netgear in Bridge mode ( whatever that is )

Attached photo is how netgear is seen by 3100 and photos from wan/ internet and lan on netgear router side

Jeff

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, what I was saying is to reverse that. Put the Netgear upfront. Makes life easier.

See here for OpenVPN set up.

I'm not sure that's exactly right for your router but if you search a little you should find. The VPN is a little complicated at first to set up but will solve your port forwarding issues and will be much more secure. Then you'll access things effectively as if you're on your local network.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, what I was saying is to reverse that. Put the Netgear upfront. Makes life easier.

See here for OpenVPN set up.

I'm not sure that's exactly right for your router but if you search a little you should find. The VPN is a little complicated at first to set up but will solve your port forwarding issues and will be much more secure. Then you'll access things effectively as if you're on your local network.

Mike I think I'm getting it....Make Netgear first in chain coming straight from Modem then netgear out to wan in on 3100.
I did that and info screens for 3100 showed no connectivity

I'll did deeper though, thanks !

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mike I think I'm getting it....Make Netgear first in chain coming straight from Modem then netgear out to wan in on 3100.
I did that and info screens for 3100 showed no connectivity

I'll did deeper though, thanks !
As above, you'll need to set up the gateway, subnet and all on the 3100.