Firefox v52 no longer runs vlc plugin, cannot access cameras

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running LInux, using Firefox I was able to use LiveView on cameras with VLC npapi plugin.
Latest version of FF (v52) no longer supports that plugin.

Any thoughts, other than VM, on how to access cameras? My only other choice is QuickTime, I have never been able to get that working and I gather it too may no longer work with new FF

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I was unaware of Pale Moon Project. Was looking at Opera but gave up on that when I discovered the major ownership of that project.
I hope Pale Moon integrates with KDE.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Several threads on this already. Try The Pale Moon Project homepage
or there's an about:config flag that can turn plugins back on. pale moon would be my choice.
I have Pale Moon up and running but it seems that PM, following the Mozilla project, does not provide a means for loading npapi extensions or add-on's.
That said, if I can figure out which flags to toggle in the config then I hope this will solve my problem.
I'll search the forum for more info but if you already know the answer I'd appreciate that info.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It might be time to get a portable version of Firefox 51 and start using that for camera stuff.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will that run on the same computer that is running FF greater than or =v52 and at same time?
I started looking at that solution but what I read did not give me confidence that it was a good solution.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pale moon continues to support NAPI plugins: Pale Moon future roadmap
You just may need to install/copy the browser plugins you want in the right folder for pale moon.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running linux. They mostly are talking about Windows. I am still trying to determine how to install the plugin manually in linux. The files are on computer but I need to get the extensions directory (with correct contents) into the right path

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there's an about:config flag that can turn plugins back on. pale moon would be my choice.
I have not been able to install the plugins in pale moon.
However the modification of about:config does work on my linux FF v52. I presume this will eventually be a dead end so does anyone know how to get the "vlc web plugin" that I need installed in pale moon? That plugin is libvlcplugin.so.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Give this a read: Issues related to plugins - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
you should be able to see a plugins path from
Code:
about:plugins
If it's an app specific path for plugins in the firefox folder or your user profile just copy the folder to an equivalent location for palemoon or create a symbolic link.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, I did find the path, "/usr/lib64/browser-plugins" which contains 4 plugin's but the problem is getting the plugin file to pale moon.
I have not figured out where to put the file so pale moon can see it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I did find the path, "/usr/lib64/browser-plugins" which contains 4 plugin's but the problem is getting the plugin file to pale moon.
I have not figured out where to put the file so pale moon can see it.
/usr/lib64/browser-plugins looks like a shared path common to multiple browsers

64 bit browsers require 64 bit plugins, 32 bit browsers require 32 bit plugins. Run about
Code:
about:plugins
in palemoon. Check the palemoon documentation. Switch to the 64 bit version if you aren't already running it. If necessary create a symbolic link to the folder you found.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running the 64 bit version of PM. About:plugins is empty, so there is no path to anything, thus I don't know the name of the path that is probably not even existing. I've been poking around the PM addon library looking for a 'plugin' to add to PM so that I will recognize that path.

I do need to check the PM doc's I haven't done that yet. And as for the symbolic link, where would that go? Presumably into the path that I cannot identify.

Anyway, you have given me lots of food for thought, lots of material to review, and I have gotten part way to the goal.
Thanks.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
you guys are making things way too complicated, just download google chrome in linux and the NACL Web Plug-in extension, click apps, click the NACL app, go to camera page, enjoy.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This sounds promising. The FAQ sez "Pale Moon checks for plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins".
Firefox put the plugins in "/usr/lib64/browser-plugins". No wonder (presumably) PM cannot find it!
It would make sense since it's just a fork of Firefox, and like he said, you can download and run a portable version of any version of Firefox you like In windows or Linux.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking that perhaps a path of /usr/lib/mozilla referred to 32 bit instead of 64 bit.
Regardless, the ln works!

Recapping this saga for future readers:
Using linux 64 bit FF v52 no longer works due to Mozilla deprecation of npapi.
Was able to use suggestion in thread psa-firefox-and-hikvision-web-component.17618/#post-166896 to add boolean string to about:config.
That worked in FF but since I use FF all the time I'd prefer it as the developers intended.

As suggested by user 'tangent', I installed the 64bit linux version of pale moon. Since my camera's are not routed outside of my firewall, I can use this browser for the sole purpose of occasionally viewing their output with vlc without modifying FF.
The pale moon FAQ indicated the location searched for plugin's. The vlc web plugin uses libvlcplugin.so. I found that file in "/usr/lib64/browser-plugins". By adding a symbolic link in /usr/lib/mozilla pointing to the location of the vlc plugin I am able to successfully view my cameras, as long as pale moon does not make the npapi obsolete.

Also of note is suggestion by hmjgriffon to use chrome with NACL plugin. I did not try that option since I had already installed pale moon.

Thanks to all who guided me down this complex path - no pun intended ;-)