Firmware 5.4.x working with HikVision on bugs

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guy's,

i have been working with HikVision on the issues surrounding Firmware 5.4.0 / 5.4.1 for the IPC_R6, i have a Skype contact on the Support team, over the past month we have been working trying to find the issues surrounding bad image quality in the firmware, below is a list on what i have been working with them on, if you have any other issue you would like me to ask them, please add to the list.

this is what we have discovered:

1: bad pixelation, and pulsation effect, this is due I-Frames, as the I-Frame interval is less the grater the gap the more it degrades, so it looks worse when i-frame resets it, so having an 20 I-Frame Interval with Frame rate of 20, this 1 reference frame per second, so pulsation reset but be once per second so the degrade of pixels would be over a second, and thus 1 pulse per second, but, having an 40 I-Frame Interval with Frame rate of 20 this is 2 reference frame per second, so pulsation will reset but be twice per second so the degrade of pixels would be over a 1/2 second, and thus 2 pulse per second, but as the time allowed for degrade is halved the pulse effect looks less, but happen twice as often. And to reflect this did not happen is 5.3.8, nor does it happen in 5.4.0 firmware for the PTZ R7 cams.

2: in H264+ it is not very reliable, we have found that H264+ has issue with I-Frames where bits in the i-frame gets to big, so stops a live image showing in with WEB browser, Live on NVR, or Green screen in iVMS, to work around this bug, you can not use sharpness higher than 18, and try to keep bitrate no higher than 8Mbits (8Mbits / 4Mbits) when multiple cam are in h264+ mode, if some cams's do not show video image try reducing bitrate.

3: when H264+ mode is used, it is not as good at saving bandwidth as 5.3.8, as recorded files show, in 5.3.8 (with same bitrate settings) i used to get 2 - 2.5 hours per 1Gb file, now i only get aprrox 1Hr per 1Gb file

attached a sample of the pulsation effect i caught yesterday while it was raining and whilst i was working with HikVision over Skype, Hikvision has also earlier this month connected via team viewer to my mac, i connected the cam direct to mac (on separate lan, it was the only connected device), and he grabed the raw packets so they could be looked at.

as for the sample video of the pulsation, look at the houses opposite, and the neighbours house wall on the right, you will pixels degrading, and the when the i-frame is refreshed, it regained full quality and cycle begins again, HikVision has confirmed to me that this IS an issue and it should NOT be doing it, as i have proven with the PTZ cam in 5.4.0 as it is working perfect, sample also attached, you should see no pulsation, to play these file please use HikVision's player, VLC might also work.

I will keep you informed on what progress we make here.

Attachments

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an issue with two r6 ptz wifi cams. Worked fine with the 5.3.6 (I think it was what they came with). Upgrade to 5.4 gives a weird issue where email notifications only get sent if I use dhcp on the LAN Ethernet interface. As soon as I switch to static - even if I enter the exact same details as the dhcp obtained, they fail. Switch back to dhcp and it works fine again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an issue with two r6 ptz wifi cams. Worked fine with the 5.3.6 (I think it was what they came with). Upgrade to 5.4 gives a weird issue where email notifications only get sent if I use dhcp on the LAN Ethernet interface. As soon as I switch to static - even if I enter the exact same details as the dhcp obtained, they fail. Switch back to dhcp and it works fine again.

and i presume you set your DNS manually correctly ?, is this from NVR or direct from cam ?

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. There is a whole thread on it on here. Even hardcoded IP addresses of severs to make sure DNS isn't failing.... and remember it all worked fine before the upgrade - then stopped working.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. There is a whole thread on it on here. Even hardcoded IP addresses of severs to make sure DNS isn't failing.... and remember it all worked fine before the upgrade - then stopped working.

so this email direct from Cam's not via a NVR ?

mozza

n3wb
Reaction score
so this email direct from Cam's not via a NVR ?
Yes. Direct from cam. Don't change email settings in any way - just switch the camera to dhcp and they spring into life. I don't use the wireless adapter at all, just Poe cable for
the network.

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I can also share a big difference I'm facing after the upgrade. Attached you wil find two pictures as an example of the problem I'm currently facing.
The image quality is really crappy in terms of moving people, cars etc. You can see on the pictures that the images are blurry although the people are not moving fast. It looks like it's unable to focus or it has something to do with other parameters like....?

This is an Hikvision 4MP dome, cabled, 30fps.

In you need more info, I can share with you, or even give you access by Teamviewer if you think you have some (possible) solutions.

Thanks in advance!!

Grtzz Camera1-3 (1).jpgCamera1-3.jpg

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I can also share a big difference I'm facing after the upgrade. Attached you wil find two pictures as an example of the problem I'm currently facing.
The image quality is really crappy in terms of moving people, cars etc. You can see on the pictures that the images are blurry although the people are not moving fast. It looks like it's unable to focus or it has something to do with other parameters like....?

In you need more info, I can share with you, or even give you access by Teamviewer if you think you have some (possible) solutions.

Thanks in advance!!

Grtzz View attachment 13080View attachment 13081
Try setting DNR to 0 or max 10

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys,

Got some good news on this matter, I been speaking with HikVision this morning via Skype and I can report a new firmware '5.4.4' should be ready for us by December to fix these issues. It is just going through internal test atm, I will report back when I have more information.

just been sent the new WebPlugin (V3.0.6.6) for Mac to test, fixes TCP and download issues, but sorry have been asked not to give out yet, it should go online in Nov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys,

Got some good news on this matter, I been speaking with HikVision this morning via Skype and I can report a new firmware '5.4.4' should be ready for us by December to fix these issues. It is just going through internal test atm, I will report back when I have more information.

just been sent the new WebPlugin (V3.0.6.6) for Mac to test, fixes TCP and download issues, but sorry have been asked not to give out yet, it should go online in Nov.
This is good news, I've had nothing but problems with V3.0.6.1 on my Mac.

Reaction score
Guys,

That new firmware can't come fast enough. I have 8 DS-2CD2142FWD cameras in two different locations that I cannot get the email alerts to work for either line crossing or intrusion detection using firmware 5.4.0 build 160401. They worked fine before the update. I even tried 2 different email smtp servers and both work when you click the test email every single time, however, no emails for events. I found if I reboot the camera I get ONE email for an intrusion detection or line crossing event but only one. I am sending the emails directly from the cameras as there isn't an NVR involved. I have upnp disabled on all cams and I'm using static IP addressing. I may try what is mentioned in this thread and try without attachments to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Will there also be some enhancements to 802.1x in the new firmwares? EAP-MD5 seems quite outdated nowadays since Microsoft has already dropped support for it with 2008R2.

Thanks

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks in advance!!

Grtzz View attachment 10974View attachment 10975
SAME!!! Just got a 2342 turret and the same ghosting problem occurs. FW 5.4.1. Glad to hear it wont be forever. Just hope I can find out why I have random no signal problems before my 30 day return policy expires.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just in case the updated firmware handles the saved settings differently, try dropping DNR down low to see if it improves the ghosting.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone think flashing to an older FW will resolve the problem?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Firmware 5.4.0 and onwards has incorporated an anti-rollback feature aimed at preventing downgrades to earlier versions.

k_r_z

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys,

I have the HIK DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cam with firmware V5.4.1 160525 and I think there has to be a bug in the FTP functionality. The camera sends FTP snapshots (timed or event triggered) only during the night mode. I never get any jpgs during the day, but if I switch to a night mode during the day in the Imgage -> Day/Night Switch menu I start getting jpgs (but only black and white ones). I looked around and could not find anybody else reporting that. Is it possible that they lock FTP during the night to day switch (so frames that are triggered by change in image from BW to color are not FTPd) and forgot to unlock that?

k_r_z

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the problem/solution. One needs to limit the image quality to medium or low in the Storage -> Capture -> Capture parameters . It seems that if the JPG is <1MB its goes through, but not if >1MB. The night JPGs are <1MB and go through even in high quality. Perhaps raising that limit or making it adjustable in the new firmware would make sense?