Firmware for Lorex

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I have read a few postings regarding firmware updates for cameras and NVRs. It seems like upgrading a Lorex camera to Dahua firmware adds some features and flexibility. I am interested in updating the firmware on my cameras because I cannot even access the video stream directly through a web browser without having some type of plug in. Even with that, the functionality is extremely limited.

Is the practice of changing firmware from Lorex to Dahua safe/secure? I’d hate to sacrifice security just to get a little flexibility. Also is there anyone that can point me in the right direction to perform this activity? Or better yet, can someone advise what website and what firmware packages I may utilize to update Lorex E891AB cameras and a Lorex N841 NVR?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have to admit that I feel lost.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still have not been able to track down the proper firmware for these E891AB cameras. Any recommendations?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have read a few postings regarding firmware updates for cameras and NVRs. It seems like upgrading a Lorex camera to Dahua firmware adds some features and flexibility. I am interested in updating the firmware on my cameras because I cannot even access the video stream directly through a web browser without having some type of plug in. Even with that, the functionality is extremely limited.

Is the practice of changing firmware from Lorex to Dahua safe/secure? I’d hate to sacrifice security just to get a little flexibility. Also is there anyone that can point me in the right direction to perform this activity? Or better yet, can someone advise what website and what firmware packages I may utilize to update Lorex E891AB cameras and a Lorex N841 NVR?

Hi @srvfan

Try asking Lorex sales, customer service, tech support - I'd try them all with various different calls and state the problem with the Browser plug-in
( normally they do not seem to want customers to update the cameras as some reports I have read.. )

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mat200

Unfortunately, like others, I haven’t had much luck with the customer service or support. I believe you’re right; it doesn’t appear as though they want anyone to adjust the firmware. I would be fine with things if I could actually view the cameras on a browser. Even the plug in they recommend is outdated. Sure, you might be able to get a video, but you can’t make adjustments or even switch views.
I like Lorex equipment, but at times it feels restrictive. I’d like to slowly update my cameras, but I have no idea where to start. I’m new to the camera/surveillance world and thought the pack I bought at Costco would be enough, but I keep wanting to add and refine cameras. Starting to become addictive.

Reaction score

Hi @srvfan ,
I also have a bunch of older Lorex IPCams and am interested in replacing their firmware. I don't have a direct answer to your question, but you mentioned the issue with the web interface and the unsupported plugin. I just found a workaround for this online. You can get an extension for Chrome called IE Tab that will support the NPAPI features that the Lorex Webcomponents plugin relies on. I was able to successfully make this work. Once installed and configured I opened the cam page in Chrome, clicked on the IE Tab extension icon to re-open using the extension. After logging in I was able to see the image feeds and configure all the available settings.

I also use the Lorex NetHD client application, which gives me the ability to operate and manage the cameras. This client seems like a stripped down version of the Hikvision iVMS-4200 desktop client. So I'm thinking the Lorex models I have (MCND2152 sold with LNR280) are repackaged by Lorex from a standard Hikvision model. I'm still looking for a way to identify the specific features of my cams to match up potential replacement firmware. Not to hijack your thread, but I'd be interested in anyone's feedback on this line of thinking as well.

Hope this info helps you with your initial issues.

PS: I'm a super noob. Now that i'm reading more of the posts I see there are some super users out here with some real experience in firmware replacements. Will continue to get informed. But still curious about Hikvision vs Dahua. I'll read on...

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@SavaricTheSpear
Thanks for the information on the plug-in. I will definitely be investigating, and hopefully I can use this as a work around. I definitely would like to get something working so I can adjust the camera settings and view the results all in one place. I definitely know I want to make adjustments to the shutter speed and other settings to improve night vision, blur, etc.
You are right; there are a ton of super users on this thread that have a lot of experience and are kind enough to share. Good luck to you. :cool: