Firmware Updates

ParkerP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All

Just got my first IP cam and NVR, Analogue convert!
I'm struggling to locate the firmware downloads location for my setup, They appear to have firmware version installed higher than ones I can see to download?

NVR - DS-7604NI/E1/4P/A V3.4.62
IP CAM - DS-2CD2342WD-I - V5.3.8

Am i being really stupid and not looking at the correct support/firmware pages?

Many thanks in advance

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're being really stupid as neither of them need updating, they are on very stable versions at the moment.

Use the search function about v5.4.0 for example.

Is there a reason you want to update it or are you just wanting to unnecessarily brick your equipment? If you feel the need for less functionality or a non working system though then one of us can post you a link.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows users tend to think upgrade is needed all the time.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will provide it but I just want to educate IP camera users not to do anything stupid. Otherwise they'll be back here saying 4-line doesn't work for example at best, or worse, my camera doesn't work.

Even with my phone I check to see if a new update is worth it. Lots of times it makes the phone so unusable then why do it?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Such a warm welcome and friendly answers 

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk
Are you suggesting that I should have told him to update to v5.4.0 ?????

Maybe you like to give out bad advice but I don't.

ParkerP

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I could locate the builds so assumed they are either superseeded or Im doing something wrong.
If the versions are stables thats all that matter, So are apparently UK stock and upgrade able as I looked beforehand the CN versions cant be changed

Thanks again

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I could locate the builds so assumed they are either superseeded or Im doing something wrong.
If the versions are stables thats all that matter, So are apparently UK stock and upgrade able as I looked beforehand the CN versions cant be changed

Thanks again
Noooooo. Most UK stock on eBay and Amazon will be CN versions.

v5.3.8 is the best version for your camera and don't update unless you have an issue fixed with a later version
v.3.4.62 is very stable version for that NVR, there were quite a few non-stable versions before then.

ParkerP

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah!

The IP Cam is from Amazon UK (And Sold by them not a Reseller) the DVR was from eBay which said UK Stock Not Grey Import but its sounds like I could have fallen fowl of cleaver wording!?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah!

The IP Cam is from Amazon UK (And Sold by them not a Reseller) the DVR was from eBay which said UK Stock Not Grey Import but its sounds like I could have fallen fowl of cleaver wording!?
Yes, Hikvision specifically state Amazon as an unauthorised dealer. Sold by Amazon makes no difference. Checking the serial number is the only way to know how. It's 100% a Grey Import by Hikvision's definition as you haven't bought through their channels and you aren't a pro-installer. As long as it is a "UK" model then I wouldn't be bothered about that.

I've found if it says UK Stock that generally means it's not sold by Amazon but by a Hong Kong or Chinese company and fulfilled by Amazon. Pretty much same on eBay too. Deliberately confusing.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyway. You should keep 5.3.x it is more stable and better then 5.4

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Such a warm welcome and friendly answers 

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk
He asked if he was being really stupid, and he got an answer.. kinda opened the door to that one.

never update unless you know it will fix a show stopping issue that is driving you bonkers, otherwise.. if its not broken, then dont fix it.. Hik has history of removing functionality and bricking cameras.. just say no.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My new motto for updaters with no reason.
@ParkerP has helped IpCamTalk.com formulate the Simple Test for Updating Pingable Ip Devices

Which is:

(1) "Got no reason...just say no."

(2) "It it ain't broke...don't fix it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel good that OP is on the best version for him and now he knows not to update it.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's seems with the constant use of Android and Apple devices people are non stop updating this app that os, and this creates a believing that you need to constantly update your devices including your CCTV setup.

This is not the case upgrading only fixes a few issues, if you don't have any issues leave it alone.
If you got it cheap on aliexpress in the last 18 months DO NOT TOUCH IT AT ALL.

for the average Joe this kit is great, just don't think you can do it all, as most time this ends in tears.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's seems with the constant use of Android and Apple devices people are non stop updating this app that os, and this creates a believing that you need to constantly update your devices including your CCTV setup.

This is not the case upgrading only fixes a few issues, if you don't have any issues leave it alone.
If you got it cheap on aliexpress in the last 18 months DO NOT TOUCH IT AT ALL.

for the average Joe this kit is great, just don't think you can do it all, as most time this ends in tears.
Welcome back! Turn on ITV, the analog Swann rubbish these people are using from Maplin is almost making me cry. If only they saw what they could get for cheaper.

Cheeky Q: Any ideas of an R6 5.4.0 to 5.3.8 downgrader?

kyphos

n3wb
Reaction score
v5.3.8 is the best version for your camera and don't update unless you have an issue fixed with a later version
What do you recommend for a 2112 and a 2032? (both received this month direct from Hikvision USA).
They both came with 5.3.0.
All I can find for these models on their Downloads page is:
  • DS-2xx2_5.4.0_160530

I was about to upgrade the cameras with it until I read this thread recommending against 5.4.0.

The cameras exhibit many problems: random errors in the log about Network Disconnections, recorded motion-triggered videos that disappear from the camera, a Motion Detection Arming Schedule that has no effect, and more.