Firmware Updating Issues

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an OEM NVR model HNR30P8-16 with Firmware version V3.0.8 Build 150209. Some say this is an OEM of the Hikvision DS-7608E2-8P. I like to update it to the latest firmware for security reasons and new features. However, I am running quite a bit of issues doing this.

1. First, I can update the firmware downloaded from the HuntCCTV site. The latest version is what I have. If I tried getting the latest versions (2017 builds) from other OEM sites like LTS & Nelly's and from Hikvision USA, etc. No go. Every time getting an error "Upgrading failed, firmware mismatches."

2. Tried using Hikvision TFPT tool and on startup getting error "TFPT listening port initialized failed." PC IP set to 192.0.0.128 and able to ping 192.0.0.64. Turning off Windows firewall, disable Windows Firewall service, and Microsoft Defender makes no difference. Same problem on both a desktop and laptop (both running Windows 10 - could this be the issue?).

Any ideas or firmware links appreciated. TIA.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The web GUI update does a few more checks than the tftp updater.
Assuming you have the correct firmware, I wonder if it's requiring firmware that matches the OEM code of your NVR.

Tried using Hikvision TFPT tool and on startup getting error "TFPT listening port initialized failed."
I'm not sure what would cause this, however -
Are you logged in as an administrator on the PCs?
Are you using any form of 'Network Access Protection' software such as Symantec Endpoint Protection?
Maybe try 'Run as administrator' for the tftpserve.exe program.

With that version of firmware, you should be able to enable telnet access to the NVR.
If so, at a telnet prompt, use the 'getHardInfo' command (case sensitive) to show the internal model number.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm logged in as administrator. Did run as administrator and from cmd.exe prompt. No form of 'Network Access Protection' software. I got TFTP from here and the last post by someone has the same issue with no replies.

With that version of firmware, you should be able to enable telnet access to the NVR.
If so, at a telnet prompt, use the 'getHardInfo' command (case sensitive) to show the internal model number.
Good tip on telnet! I got this (serial no. altered):
Code:
# getHardInfo
Start at 2017-06-14 15:24:56
Serial NO :1620150619BBRR555666777WCVU
V3.0.8 build 150209
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 140722
dspSoftVersion: V1.0 build 140828
codecVersion: V1.0 build 100520
hardwareVersion = 0x400
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 16
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
ataCtrlNums = 0
flashsize = 0x10
ramSize = 0x400
networksNums = 1
language = 1
devType:HNR30P8-16
bootPartition = 2
randomCode =
If I can get TFPT working, would I be able update it with:

a)Hikvision NVR firmware "DS-7608NI-E2/8P v3.3.6 v3.4.21 v3.4.3 v3.4.5" from Hikvision USA tech portal

... OR does it require an OEM firmware like
b) Nelly's Security NSN-616-16P firmware (Version: 3.4.92 / Build Date: 02-24-2017)

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got TFPT tool to work by going into Safe Mode and turning off firewall. So it's not Windows 10. For assurance, setup another PC with a clean Windows 7 and it works too.

However, every attempt using TFPT, log information shows "Completed file[...] transmit" but NOT final confirmation "Device [192.0.0.64] system updated completed!" per instructions.

Again, flashing original OEM firmware works. Attempt with other firmwares fails including the following:
  • Hikvision USA - DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_V3.3.6_151229
  • Hikvision Europe - NVR_NETRA_BL_EN_STD_V3.4.3_160811
  • Nelly's OEM - NSN-616-16P v3.4.92
  • LTS OEM - NR31P 310_V3.4.62_160713
I am guessing these are incorrect firmware versions for the hardware.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I once had an OEM NVR model HNR30P8-8 with firmware version V3.0.8 Build 150209 as well. My unit had 8 POE ports and could support up to 8 cameras. I think your version is 16 channel (8 POE), so closer to a 7616NI-E2/8P. I purchased a 7616NI-E2 and compared the internals, they were identical. So both are definitely from Hikvision. HV doesn't support the OEM NVRs with new FW at nearly the same cadence as their HV branded units. I was told that the 150209 build included all the security updates from 3.0.10 but that's probably of little comfort. I believe the 7616NI-E2 FW could run on the HNR but the HNR or FW is detecting an OEM NVR and refusing to work. You might be able to modify the FW to allow it to run on the NVR but that's probably a tall task. Best bet is to ask your seller to get the latest FW from HV. If you are exposing the NVR to the WAN without a VPN then you really need to run the latest FW to ensure you have all the latest security patches. Or just stick with what you have and don't open a port to the WAN or if you do, use a VPN.

Last edited:

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed response. I am throwing in the towels. I have Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2342WD-I) and upgrading the firmware was easy. Not the case with these Hikvision OEMs, too much hassle. Already tried popping case, telnet, TFPT, cryptic firmware names, endless search leading nowhere, etc. Like you say, probably can be done (have telnet with root access) but would be easier hoping seller releases an update.

I am using VPN so not too worried about security of unit. I do have issues with it not supporting higher resolutions of my cameras and moving images tearing (H.264+ setting turned on?? fixed on newer firmwares).

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up selling my HNR30P8-8 on eBay. I sold it with full disclosure. Mind you it worked flawlessly, I only sold it because I went over the 8 camera limit. I don't believe the HNR30Px-x and 7616NI-Ex NVRs internal hardware can support h.264+, you'd need to move up to the hardware in the pricier 7616NI-I2 NVR. It might not hurt to contact HV USA tech support, they may be able to help or point you to the OEM.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, another good advice on Hikvision USA tech support. Maybe they can support me on my DS-2CD2342WD-I issue on an OEM NVR. If not, it's no biggie, I plan to use this on a simpler setup anyways. Ultimately, my next project is to setup a Blue Iris system. That should handle anything I throw at it with the inconvenience of maintaining it.