First Post, no questions, just saying hi!

alk32116

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! Just introducing myself, I've been using some cameras and BlueIris at my home (and have gotten my workplace to use it and recommend to clients as well). I currently only have 3 cameras, and plan to expand quite a bit as time and money allow. I keep being torn between buying another camera, or buying parts for a dedicated camera PC so I can stop using my desktop for it!

Also, thank you for saving me from Reolink. I was researching, just about to purchase, when I found some posts on here and bought the 4MP Starlight from the store here instead!

alk32116

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

welcome
I would build a standalone PC for BI first. Read the WIKI, buy a used Business PC off of Ebay. Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
Thanks! I have looked over several of your posts and documentation. I work in IT and camera systems are something we deal with on a growing basis, and I was able to share some great info with the team. That's also why I have a hard time with the PC build, I have to build new and I have to overthink it... I want it to be in a server chassis so I can build up a small network rack, and then I need to plan out a new router, and a UPS, and, and and.... ! :wtf:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ON your first build keep it real simple. You are way over working the problem. Most servers are power pigs. Plan on your processor based upon the simple future needs , number of cameras, MP/SEC, Frame rate, resolution.

See

Reaction score
Thanks! I have looked over several of your posts and documentation. I work in IT and camera systems are something we deal with on a growing basis, and I was able to share some great info with the team. That's also why I have a hard time with the PC build, I have to build new and I have to overthink it... I want it to be in a server chassis so I can build up a small network rack, and then I need to plan out a new router, and a UPS, and, and and.... ! :wtf:
Yeah don't over think it, just read and learn the in and outs of home camera positioning. There are many topics, read and plan before you start, and plan on more cameras than you think. I thought four cameras would be all i needed. I have 13 now and need 2 more, go figure. Good Luck!

alk32116

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah don't over think it, just read and learn the in and outs of home camera positioning. There are many topics, read and plan before you start, and plan on more cameras than you think. I thought four cameras would be all i needed. I have 13 now and need 2 more, go figure. Good Luck!
Definitely! The calculator website is crazy good and one of the items I shared with my team. I have 3 cameras now, would like 7 for what I would consider 'minimum coverage' (all 4 sides of the house, carport, and 2 on the shed to watch my animals) but I'm sure I'll think of others (on shed pointed to house, etc). I just don't want to build out a more basic machine and be needing/wanting to upgrade in 6-12 months. Buy once, cry once.

alk32116

n3wb
Reaction score
ON your first build keep it real simple. You are way over working the problem. Most servers are power pigs. Plan on your processor based upon the simple future needs , number of cameras, MP/SEC, Frame rate, resolution.

See
Not looking to build an actual server... the entire rack will have to be in my home office due to space constraints, so noise and heat are huge factors as well as power. More a decently powerful desktop in a server case, SSD for OS and a couple WD Purples in a RAID for storage.