First time building a security system

renzoh08

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope my thread title explains everything. im currently building a security system, planning to use blue iris since ive been seeing good reviews about it. But having difficulty choosing a pc, currently Ive been keeping and eye on a lenovo server. But i want to make sure it could handle 9 cameras

Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 [No OS] Intel Core i7-4770 8GB RAM No HDD Server Desktop Computer: Computers & Accessories

Like stated above, im planning to run 9 cameras in my building. The ones i have in mind are
Foscam FI9901EP 4.0MP. But in the blueiris website under tested network ip cams i cant find this specific model#. i just want to make sure they are compatible with the software.

Also is blue iris a 1year subscription?. The reason i bring this up is because i have encounter many times, people stating its a one time payment. Others say its a year to year subscription. I went to blueiris website and under support it states the full software for $59.95 and under cost it states duration 1year. So after the year does the softwate lock up or restrict some option?

Im also looking for a poe switch with 16 ports thats manageable any recommendations??

Any help would be appreciated

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope my thread title explains everything. im currently building a security system, planning to use blue iris since ive been seeing good reviews about it. But having difficulty choosing a pc, currently Ive been keeping and eye on a lenovo server. But i want to make sure it could handle 9 cameras

Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 [No OS] Intel Core i7-4770 8GB RAM No HDD Server Desktop Computer: Computers & Accessories

Like stated above, im planning to run 9 cameras in my building. The ones i have in mind are
Foscam FI9901EP 4.0MP. But in the blueiris website under tested network ip cams i cant find this specific model#. i just want to make sure they are compatible with the software.

Also is blue iris a 1year subscription?. The reason i bring this up is because i have encounter many times, people stating its a one time payment. Others say its a year to year subscription. I went to blueiris website and under support it states the full software for $59.95 and under cost it states duration 1year. So after the year does the softwate lock up or restrict some option?

Im also looking for a poe switch with 16 ports thats manageable any recommendations??

Any help would be appreciated
Welcome to the forum...first, stay away from foscam, they are crap...second, stay away from bullet cams that have an ir ring around the lens. This turret dahua is the BEST value today.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Dont buy that server, its overpriced and using an older haswell processor..after you pay for the OS you can by a skylake based i7-6700 for the same money (about 500) search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk.
You can easily run 9 of the 1080p dahua mentioned above on a 300 dollar i5-6500 optiplex or elitedesk.
Blue iris is a ONE time 59 dollar fee. Anyone who states otherwise is mistake. Technically after a year you would have to pay for minor updates, however, to date this has not been the case. Anyone with BI4 can update to any recent release free of charge. Regardless the software will never shut down.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.