First time home owner looking to do my home security right.

ilikeike

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, as the title says I'm brand new to owning a house and security systems as well, I've been doing a lot of reading and watching of videos and I think I want to go with Hikvision as my first set up, not too heavy on the wallet and from what I can tell great quality. I hope to keep expanding my knowledge and make some good friends on the way.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Make sure to check out the wiki. A lot of good info there and many questions are answered there with the detail that is covered on sizing, setting up and running a new system.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Cameras are for surveillance not security. You can find out what happened after the fact.

For home security start with a wired monitored alarm system, door sensors, window sensors, internal motion sensors, an two or more loud sirens(+120 DB). One loud siren inside.

Do not use wifi, it can easily be blocked.

ilikeike

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:
Cameras are for surveillance not security. You can find out what happened after the fact.

For home security start with a wired monitored alarm system, door sensors, window sensors, internal motion sensors, an two or more loud sirens(+120 DB). One loud siren inside.

Do not use wifi, it can easily be blocked.
Thank you for this, I guess I should have worded my title differently. When you say "do not use WiFi, it can be blocked" are you able to point me to information regarding this, I would like to learn why WiFi is so easily able to block and if my current Wyze cameras are safe.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Besides being blockable with a $25 dollar eBay purchase, WiFi has finite bandwidth capability. A real security camera send a continuous signal that eats the bandwidth of WiFi channels. There are numerous thread here discussing this with "real world" tests demonstrating the problems. At best, even with only two cameras on a single WiFi channel, dropouts are a common problem. I know that the standard answer of wired cameras being the only reliable way to connect is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth and a real answer.

ilikeike

n3wb
Reaction score
I know that the standard answer of wired cameras being the only reliable way to connect is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth and a real answer.
I know WiFi is not secure and never wanted WiFi cameras as my home surveillance, was just curious to find out why and how they are so unsecured. What is this $25 dollar eBay Item you speak of, a name would be nice so I can research it and protect myself against it.

POE is what I have chosen for my home.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an old HAM radio operator. All that is need is a transmitter on the required frequency, and crank up the power. It is not legal. Search the internet., they are cheap.

The question is are your low life home burglars smart enough to use a jammers ? Not yet, but in a year or two probably yes.

NOTHING on wifi is safe from jamming. All radio signals can be Jammed, some are more difficult then others.

Last edited:

ilikeike

n3wb
Reaction score
As an old HAM radio operator. All that is need is a transmitter on the required frequency, and crank up the power. It is not legal. Search the internet., they are cheap.

The question is are your low life home burglars smart enough to use a jammers ? Not yet, but in a year or two probably yes.

NOTHING on wifi is safe from jamming. All radio signals can be Jammed, some are more difficult then others.
Thank you for explaining it and its definitely something I want to future proof so to speak.

ilikeike

n3wb
Reaction score
Reaction score
Like SY says, it is easy to jam, but will someone who targets you going to do it? The run of the mill door checker, door kicker, or porch pirate, no probably not. BUT, (there is always a but) for a while in my old neighborhood there was a group of high school kids going around tagging the SSID in spray paint on the street in front of homes. Then they either would hop onto the WIFI or jam it just to be pricks.

I have a few WIFI cams that I bought BEFORE I found IPCAMTALK and still use them inside to watch the pooch when I am away. They are always going offline. Many, many times a day. I doubt it is being done by anyone. It is just how WIFI and security cams are.