First time installer in soffit

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
Great thanks! I was able to get 5 lines routed into the garage and into a junction box. All lines in the garage terminate to a female cat6 snap in. The other end are all bundled and strapped to the rafters and ready to be plugged into the nvr once mounted. All I need to do for the first camera is to route the wire through the brick and patch into the panel in the garage. I'm going to use the mounts that tonyR suggested. I'm going to place it on the brick because the soffit by the door just seemed too high as suggested.

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
Man I got a camera installed and I still think the picture is terrible during the day. At night it looks ok. I'll try and attach the picture here. I did get into the cameras page directly and the exposure doesn't appear to have solved anything

Last edited:

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to interject into this thread, but have been following it. I noticed in your pic that you posted, your fonts for your time stamp and location, are large and a low DPI (if that is what you call it).

I have two Trendnet and two HiKVision cams and three of them have clear high DPI resolution and look great and easy to read. The forth cam (HiKVision PTZ) suffers from the low DIP fonts and is not as sharp as my other cameras. I can't figure out how to change the font to make it look like my other three cameras...........

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the WDR setting at?
I didnt have WDR turned on. I basically plugged everything in and left as is. If there are suggestions or comments on what setting to change please let me know. I tried to grab all of them into one single image. I did turn on WDR at the time of capturing all the settings.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt have WDR turned on. I basically plugged everything in and left as is. If there are suggestions or comments on what setting to change please let me know. I tried to grab all of them into one single image. I did turn on WDR at the time of capturing all the settings.

Try turning down both WDR and noise reduction. Try a setting closer to 30 for each.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Exposure for daytime should be auto, not manual. The 1/30 shutter is too slow.
You will have to adjust it for your situation. Defaults don't usually cut it.

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I don't have any option for Auto under exposure settings. Maybe need a fw update?

Last edited:

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah for whatever reason, when you click that drop down box it doesnt give you any options but manual. I got 4 camera, and i only tried the two, one 4k and one 1080p. Im going to maybe plug in the other ones to see if maybe there is something wrong with these ones, but so far it is weird. It is like the day time looks like garbage and the night looks fine.

Guessing my cameras have similar features:
Hikvision DS-2CD1021- Can't set Iris Mode to 'auto'

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah for whatever reason, when you click that drop down box it doesnt give you any options but manual. I got 4 camera, and i only tried the two, one 4k and one 1080p. Im going to maybe plug in the other ones to see if maybe there is something wrong with these ones, but so far it is weird. It is like the day time looks like garbage and the night looks fine.

Guessing my cameras have similar features:
Hikvision DS-2CD1021- Can't set Iris Mode to 'auto'
Turn down Noise Reduction and WDR and I think your image will improve.

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
It just seems like you can see each pixel rendering on screen. Maybe there are some other settings that I have wrong like the fps etc. Let me grab some of those.

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
I might have found part of the problem. Setting the max bitrate to 4096 seemed to help. I think it was like 1700 something. Avg bitrate is now like 2048 I believe. Are there any recommended settings for these things? And thanks for the help. There is a lot of investment getting these things up and running .

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I might have found part of the problem. Setting the max bitrate to 4096 seemed to help. I think it was like 1700 something. Avg bitrate is now like 2048 I believe. Are there any recommended settings for these things? And thanks for the help. There is a lot of investment getting these things up and running .
Frame rate and bit rate affect the amount of storage. Typically, 10-15 fps is plenty for security use.
The bit rate can be set to whatever you are comfortable with, if you want to run it higher it will improve the picture.

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
So I feel like some things are starting to come together. I am starting to learn more. It appears people prefer continuous recording with 'marking' of motion events in the timeline. I was trying to set this up with no such luck. Maybe someone can tell me if I am missing a setting for this?

NVR Settings
# Recording Schedule (was trying a mix)

# Playback screen trying to filter motion?

# Image showing only continues with no motion ticks below; changing over to motion only

Camera Settings
# Schedule

# Motion

# Camara Linkage

dbldown768

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone is having the same problem, emailed support, they sent me a link to updated firmware on dropbox. No clue why it isnt on their normal page to just download, but the version they sent was V3.4.93 build 170821 and it fixed the problem.