First time installing CCTV...Have some questions.

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
So I'm about to install CCTV for the first time and I have a few questions. I've got some flexible steel conduit which is coated in pvc. I'm planning on connecting this to a plastic junction box with nylon glands. I will connect two to three camera's through this junction box. I'm using adjustable glands because the conduit is an unusual size (approx 14mm OD). Since the box is plastic and the glands are nylon it'll be difficult to ground. The conduit/ethernet cable will be running 30cm-2m above ground level across the walls of the house. I've never had lightning strike near my house but if it were to ever happen, would this be safe? I've read that metal conduit requires grounding but this is coated in pvc so not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, is it ok if I put silicone sealant around a hole in the back of the junction box and mount it directly to a brick wall and then take the wires through the hole from indoors. I want to make sure the box is waterproof so the conduit doesn't rust.

I'm also thinking of using a putty similar to blu tack but stronger to hold/seal the wire in the conduit where it connects inside the camera junction box (not the other junction box) just so it adds a bit of waterproofing incase some water does manage to find it's way in. This is to make sure the inside of the conduit doesn't come in contact with water/humidity and rust. Is this safe to do?

I came across a thread where someone said their junction box filled up with water after extreme weather. Someone recommended to put a small hole at the bottom of the junction box and to put sealant where the camera joins the box/box joins the wall but I won't be doing the latter as it'll be a headache when I eventually need to remove the camera. What are your thoughts on this?

Reaction score
if lighting struck directly or nearby your paper thin coating ontop of the metal conduit...where is the energy going to go? It will arc to your copper network cable and bye bye Camera and/or switch.
We call that kind of conduit water-tight for it is weather proof, not lighting proof.
Knowing copper cabling and lighting strikes around my house... I have a metal pole 10' high in the air with my weather station up there and a IP camera underneath that, with a weatherproof Cat6 connected to the camera. Any lighting protection at all? NOPE! Is that bad of me and improper to say so that I may influence folks to do the same? It sure is! Bad me! To resolve the issue, I really need to put in a lightning ground rod near the pole and ground that pole. Or have something else higher above the pole that is grounded correctly. Will I get to it? Possibly, maybe, we'll see.

Silicone ANYTHING outside, period.

blu tack is not waterproof. It dries out eventually as if you put playdoo in direct sunlight. They do make specialized silly putty for weather proofing. Can't think of the name right now. It's grey and can be found at hardware stores. Have that conduit coming in the box slope LOWER and AWAY from box so that if any water gets in, it does not collect into the box itself. Or come in from below.

They make weather proof metal boxes (I prefer metal over any plastic/pvc parts) that do not cost a fortune.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The "putty" Holbs is talking about is called Duct Seal. It is grey, remains pliable in direct sun for many years, can be easily and cleanly removed and reused and works really well for weatherproofing a lot of thinngs.

Duct Seal

Additionally, is is a good idea to thoroughly weatherproof RJ45 connections that are outside. Even the moisture generated by the heating and cooling cycles can, over time, cause enough corrosion to mess up that connection. Best practice is to use dielectric grease on the connector, anything from a dab, it needs to be on the contacts specifically, or filling the female side before plugging in the male connector (messy if filling and requires cleanup before proceeding). Then use the cable gland that comes with the camera. Next use a self amalgamating tape, wrapping the gland completely and extending onto the cable on both ends. Finally, wrap the whole thing again with a quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88 extending past the self amalgamating tape. That then goes into a weatherproof box.

Connection Sealing

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
yep...Duct Seal :) I knew it has a fancy hi-tech name!

for weatherproofing RJ45's.... I did plan on including that in my 'how to wire' forum post soon.
Basically, I use the included plastic 2 piece weatherproofing with rubber stopper. I go the step further to add dielectric grease AND 1" and 1/2" weather proofing shrink tubing (1" around the 2 piece weatherproofing piece and slopes down to the 1/2" to the cable). This works wonderfully for double coverage. Is it truly needed? Maybe not. It may take 2 minutes of your time to accomplish for $0.05. To me, I'll take the double coverage for anything outdoors.

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
So if i went with flexible non metallic conduit would I need to ground anything? I'm going to waterproof the rj45 with the included waterproof cover, dielectric grease and self amalgamating tape. What about the unused connectors? should I use self amalgamating tape on them too? As for the junction box which will connect the conduit, here is an extremely professional diagram I made showing how I plan to install this.
Polish_20220910_155534695.png
I'm sure this would work fine but the only thing I'm not sure about is the duct seal/sealant. Should I apply it on the outside or from the inside once it has been fitted and and the wires have been taken through? If I apply sealant to the back of the box it might be an issue if I need to remove it later on but duct seal might be a better option as it is non curing I believe. I'm not sure where to find duct seal in the UK though.

Reaction score
if unable to find duct seal...silicone bead along the back side of box encircling the knock out works as well.
If worried about leaving residue incase you remove the box, could get some rubber backing instead of the silicone. In a pinch, a thin yoga mat piece for example. Then can silicone between rubber & box.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd put a circle of Duct Seal around the back opening of the box before screwing it to the wall. Then I'd use more Duct Seal inside as a plug to seal everything after the CAT cables are installed. Finally, I'd add a "rope" of Duct Seal on the sides and across the top of the box, leaving the bottom open as a "drain" just in case anything does manage to leak. They don't call me Clark Griswald for nothing.

Last edited:

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174114763213

Weatherproof Compound 2 x 250g

I think these would work but I already have silicone sealant so I might as well use that, or I could use both. How strong is the adhesive on silicone sealant usually? If I wanted to remove it would it detach from the wall easily? And about the conduit, would using non metallic conduit be a safer option than steel. I'm not grounding or using a surge protector but I don't think there's any need to. Where I live I've never seen lightning strike close by and I don't think most domestic installations here are grounded.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I tend to avoid silicon sealers because they adhere too well and, when removed, can either damage the surfaces involved and leave a silicon coating that won't hold paint well, if at all. Duct Seal adheres well but can be removed and, actually, can be painted if need be.

I use flexible SealTite in plastic only. Much easier to work with and I don't rely on it for grounding or lightning protection. It's not only lightning, it can be a surge caused by a pole being struck or wires coming down. It can also be ground potential differences due to the difference in conductivity between ground points.

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Would adjustable nylon cable glands make a good seal with flexible plastic conduit?

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would drip loop from a cable clamp using uv resistant Cat 6A direct burial wire. Then tie the wire every 2 feet or so to the building with zip-ties that have a screw hole.
Like in this picture
drip loop.jpg

for cables going in and when I make my 7/8 hole behind cameras to stick in through with a waterproof connector, I use #105 Coax-seal
coaxseal.jpg

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I've been using duct seal to seal the notorious gap on turret cameras and it holds up just fine.

The "putty" Holbs is talking about is called Duct Seal. It is grey, remains pliable in direct sun for many years, can be easily and cleanly removed and reused and works really well for weatherproofing a lot of thinngs.

Duct Seal

Additionally, is is a good idea to thoroughly weatherproof RJ45 connections that are outside. Even the moisture generated by the heating and cooling cycles can, over time, cause enough corrosion to mess up that connection. Best practice is to use dielectric grease on the connector, anything from a dab, it needs to be on the contacts specifically, or filling the female side before plugging in the male connector (messy if filling and requires cleanup before proceeding). Then use the cable gland that comes with the camera. Next use a self amalgamating tape, wrapping the gland completely and extending onto the cable on both ends. Finally, wrap the whole thing again with a quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88 extending past the self amalgamating tape. That then goes into a weatherproof box.

Connection Sealing

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.