First time mounting cameras outside... a bit lost!

JohnCena

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've purchased two IP cams to work on my front porch. (HDW5231R-Z, and PFB203W for the mounting. I probably need to buy something else for the pole mounting on the driveway cam)

One focusing on the driveway, and one on the porch/front door itself. I've read a few mounting guides and most seem to suggest that you should be putting the poe cable directly through a hole inside out that the camera mount will cover. However, I think this is impractical for my usage, or at least I'd like to avoid it as much as possible.

The Driveway Cam will be pole mounted, most likely, and it's easy enough to manage cable wise. It can just follow the TV/cable line that are already there to the underneath house crawlspace up to the room I have the POE switch installed.

For the front porch cam, however, I'm not sure what the ideal positioning would be. I don't believe there's a place I could easily drill through the entire wall to have it laid flat with the cable going inside. The house is brick, and as long as I have the correct drill bit and concrete screws it seems doable enough to mount it, but I'm not sure what the best method for handling the poe cable would be. I'm assuming that using a cable runway/conduit solution is preferred to have the camera run along a path until it can meet the other cabling and go down the same path under the house? Or is that a bad way to go about it?

I'm also aware I should probably buy outdoor rated Cat6 cable, or use a conduit solution. Which do you think would be preferred? And also, this is an incredibly noob question I know, but... how does the conduit stick to whatever path I place it on to meet the other cabling? Is it something that has an adhesive or is there some other method for running it along a set path? I've never really done anything outdoor related haha. For inside I have a cable raceway running along the ceiling corners, but I don't know if you use the same sort of thing for outside brick material or not.

Anyway thanks for the help! Hopefully this explains enough, I can try to get pictures once I get the cams and test out a few different places to see what works best, though I imagine the driveway cam will definitely be pole mounted.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho 1/2" emt conduit on the outside wall would work well with your brick building.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can't simply drill a hole directly behind where you want to mount the camera and pull cable out into the junction box then terminate their you might need to do the following.

I assume you want to come out of your crawl space based on your comments above- drill a hole between the brick in a mortar joint into the crawl. Pull your cable out. put one of these down low where the cable comes out: Eaton's Crouse-Hinds Business LB15 MT Die Cast Aluminum Series 5 Type LB Combination Threaded/Set-Screw Conduit Body, 1/2 Inch | Graybar Store next your doing to get a stick of conduit and run it from this L junction up into your junction box for your camera.

You can get these brackets in Metal or Schedule 40 at your local hardware store. You use clips to attach conduit to the wall. Again, they come in metal or plastic
Thomas and Betts Steel City® 1-Hole Steel EMT Conduit Strap With Elongated Bolt Hole | Graybar Store

Bridgeport Fittings 2-Hole Steel EMT Conduit Strap | Graybar Store

just search google for installing conduit on brick or some crap like that. I'm sure you'll find a step by step guide. if not just go wonder to your local hardware store find the electrical aisle and talk to the old guy working, he'll prob build the entire thing for ya, just bring your junction box with ya. This reminds me in collage when we went to home depot to get plumbing parts to make a 6 man beer bong out of a 5 gallon water jug. The guy working in plumbing and some plumber that was shopping built the entire thing in the store for us - 6 hoses with shut off valves and all. I think they enjoyed piecing it together as much as we enjoyed using it at parties.

Last edited:

JohnCena

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the resources! I'm still deciding if I'm going to go through with conduit or not. (I could mimic my excellent comcast installation and just have the cable dangling about and twisted along a pole!)

Would using PVC conduit be an option?