First time setup new cameras w/second NIC/no internet

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, finally this weekend we have run a cable to my BI PC and most of the cameras are connected.
I have installed a second (Intel)NIC card, per this forum members suggestion.
Now it comes the newby, I have the cameras connected to a POE+ switch, wire runs to the PC w/Nic card, no internet. How do I setup this network?
Any help is appreciated.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will create two networks.

The cctv network can be any lan address, eg 192.168.xxx.0, SM 255.255.255.0. You don't need a gateway. Your cameras should reside on this same subnet.

For the NIC connected to your router, use the LAN you are already using. eg. 192.168.1. Make sure the cctv network above is different. Choose a unique IP address for your BI machine. Ensure you have DNS configured. You might possibly be able to set it up with DHCP to obtain an address automatically, but probably best with a static IP address.

I don't use BI but the 2 network setup is pretty common for other systems.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where do I setup these addresses, at the Nic cards?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, for the 2nd NIC for the camera network, go into the adapter properties and change the ipv4 address.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.
So, there I set an address for the BI PC, right?
After that, what I do to "see" the cameras?
Use the Dahua Config Tool, to "find" them, or just use BI for that?

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have just found that and I'm reading it now.
Thanks

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Essentially you need to create 2 networks and you do this by assigning different networks and network addresses to the land cards in your bi server.

One Lan card is assigned an address which resides in the same network as your home router that you use to surf the internet, this commonly would be 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. The 255.255.255.0 is referred to as the subnet mask and in this case it mean that the first 3 numbers i.e. 192.168.0 or 192.168.1 are the network address. So any device with these first 3 numbers will be in the same network and will be able to talk to devices in the same network. So you either assign a static address or let DHCP on you router assign an address. The problem with the later is that the up address assigned could change if you restart the bi server so static or you can reserve a DHCP address on the router based upon the MAC address of the Lan card, thus way the bi box will always be assigned the same address.

For your second Lan card, the network needs to be different so you could use anything really such as 192.168.10.x. Each of the cams would need to be set to use the same network address, the last digit varying. As said above don't set a default gateway for any devices on the "cam" network.

In order to get access to the cams you'd then do it via the bi server, as this has a leg on both networks, you can access the bi server from your home network and via its other leg the server can also see the cams.

I've tried to dumb it down as much as possible but the above should hopefully give you a good start.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks you, you have helped me a lot, thanks.
It was easy to play with the cameras, while they were connected to the router, but it a whole new thing for mw, to do it without that connection.
Now I will have to setup each camera, one by one and assign them the new address, right?

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha, I'm just reading your post, when you ordered your system from Andy.
With a friend, we have just ran the cables yesterday. I wanted to see the cams, but I have realized very quickly, that I don't know how to do it.
I'm about to order another cam, for the rear by the patio sliding door. I'm considering the DH-SD1A203T-GN, but I can't find a nice looking mounting bracket.