Fish Cat6 through garage

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use coat hangers, too, and I'm careful to make sure I have metal coat hangers just for that reason. In a pinch, some 12 or 14 gauge steel wire from Tractor Supply will work, too.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After some trial and error, I think installing the camera under soffit is probably the way to go.

I looked inside my attic few times, I am not sure how to pull the wire from the soffit into the attic. The attic closed as shown in the picture, at first I thought I could just drill a small hole just enough to fish the wire through soffit using fiberglass but I have no place in the attic to pull from. Looking for some advice please.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After some trial and error, I think installing the camera under soffit is probably the way to go.

I looked inside my attic few times, I am not sure how to pull the wire from the soffit into the attic. The attic closed as shown in the picture, at first I thought I could just drill a small hole just enough to fish the wire through soffit using fiberglass but I have no place in the attic to pull from. Looking for some advice please.
Picture on the other side would help. (outdoors)

Reaction score
What is above the garage?
Is it a bonus room?
Where is your main POE switch located?

I used this in our master bedroom to go from the attic down the wall in the corner of our room then through the top plate of the first floor and finally outside.

5994DF45-A235-4505-AC85-97EFA00958FA.jpeg

6166B4C8-B696-4E16-915C-F1BB84289819.jpeg

My main POE switch is in a structured wiring can in one of our walk in closets. From the can to the attic was an easy pull but to get to the garage so that I could mount two cameras just above the roll up garage doors, we went through our office closet because it is the room directly above our garage.

From there, the ethernet cable goes to a switch in the garage and from there to the cameras. I pulled multiple Ethernet runs down through the closet. In the closet I used schedule 40 plastic pipe. The pipe is in the corner of the closet. In order to see it one would need to almost enter the closet to look to the left and backwards.

At each point where the pipe penetrates structure I sealed it with fire resistant caulking. Thus the junction box affixed to the garage ceiling.

Here is the garage wiring.

F6D1606D-ADA0-4E6A-A526-9F7D551794CF.jpeg

As you can see, the cables are not in conduit although if they were they would be more protected from vandalism if someone were to get into garage. I decided it was okay because I have an automatic lock on the garage door which prevents someone from prying up the garage door.

Here are the two cameras mounted just above the garage door mounted at 8’ from the ground.

2165F948-22C9-4A33-9FA5-31DD2910D94D.jpeg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you want to mount the camera by the red X or under the eaves by the green arrow?

Front_Closeup (1).jpg

If it's by the green arrow, then a close-up pic of that area pointing up would help to see what the soffit/eaves looks like.
Another useful picture is from the inside of the garage looking up at this corner. Looks like it's all drywalled in.

Since you have a new tract home, is your development already built out? If not and houses are still under construction, then maybe you can find your model still in the framing stage. That would be extremely helpful to see what's behind the walls to reduce guesswork.

Below I combined the inside and outside pic for comparison. The yellow romex cable is most likely for your coach light. If you follow where that goes, it probably goes to your other coach light in front of the garage door and another yellow cable also comes out that location and goes to the other lights. Wondering what the other smaller wire/cable is that punches through the top plate on the side of the house. Can you tell from the inside of the garage or outside?

front corner - attic.jpg

Your attic access looks pretty decent so consider yourself fortunate.
Great you are asking questions and exploring before drilling holes.