Fish Cat6 through garage

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will most likely be installing a Camera right under the top of the garage as shown in the pic. My thought is I would may be use a foot long drill bit and drill a hole starting from outside of the garage such that it goes into the stud in the attic and then fish the Cat 6 cable through it. I was thinking to use a fiber glass fishing tape like this one. Feed back is appreciated . Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
You will be trying to penetrate not a stud but a header if you went straight up. Good luck with that :)
Is is possible to drill a hole at a 45 degree angle inwards to the garage interior so that the Cat6 can travel along the inside garage corners?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't tell from your markings, but if you mean mounting under the entry to the garage, then I don't think that I'd do that. As above that's going to be tough. Go off to the side(s) or above somewhere.

Hard to know the best route without seeing the construction. Don't know what the inside looks like but generally easier to go in and then around and up where you have a good spot closer. The less fishing you have to do, the better. If the garage isn't finished out much inside you can get a lot of easy distance without fishing.

Also looks like you have an existing cable (cable TV?) running up the outside corner there that you might be able to leverage in some way? [Edit: Never mind... I see now that looks to be for lightning protection and it's run up the facia there. Don't want to do that! ; ) I still like that corner location though.] If it were me, I think I might try to use that entry and maybe try the cam mounted under that corner soffit and then into the garage. It's slightly high but not bad. Save your fishing frustration for when you have to do the door cam.

Last edited:

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't tell from your markings, but if you mean mounting under the entry to the garage, then I don't think that I'd do that. As above that's going to be tough. Go off to the side(s) or above somewhere.

Hard to know the best route without seeing the construction. Don't know what the inside looks like but generally easier to go in and then around and up where you have a good spot closer. The less fishing you have to do, the better. If the garage isn't finished out much inside you can get a lot of easy distance without fishing.

Also looks like you have an existing cable (cable TV?) running up the outside corner there that you might be able to leverage in some way? [Edit: Never mind... I see now that looks to be for lightning protection and it's run up the facia there. Don't want to do that! ; ) I still like that corner location though.] If it were me, I think I might try to use that entry and maybe try the cam mounted under that corner soffit and then into the garage. It's slightly high but not bad. Save your fishing frustration for when you have to do the door cam.
Yeah I was about to reply you , you are spot on that is indeed for lightning protection. So the soffit is going to be about 12 feet I think, I will be trying out different spots once I get my cam before permanently mounting it, but that is a good option.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think that's 12' or doesn't look like it from the drive at least. What's your garage door, 7 1/2-ish? I'd guess more like 10 to the bottom of that.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think that's 12' or doesn't look like it from the drive at least. What's your garage door, 7 1/2-ish? I'd guess more like 10 to the bottom of that.
Yup garage is about 7, I will measure tomorrow and let you know. It could be very well be 10.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If I decide to mount under the soffit , shall i pull the Cat6 from inside through the brick and through the soffit ?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you probably can just go through the soffit and then up and over into the garage probably without going through brick. Might have to fish a short run but that wouldn't be too bad to do. Have to look at it and see.

If it's 10-ish I could live with that. I have one of mine mounted at almost exactly 10'. Just no other place for it any lower to capture the view. The cut-outs below are taken from that. I cropped out the door and horizon since it has my address and some other identifying information in the background that I don't want posted. A lot more width and horizon in the cam view. It's mostly intended to capture people coming up that walk with a door cam getting the straight-ahead and out in the other direction. But gives you an idea of what a human looks like from that height.

FrontWalkCapture1.PNGFrontWalkCapture2.PNG

Reaction score
I'd advise you to temp mount on a pole your primary location vicinity, run for 24 hours to catch day and night video's of you walking around as normal person and person with a ski mask or face mask. If you are happy with what is on the video, go for it. I was not happy at 10' from a recent security event. I am dropping varifocal cameras down to the 5' level to be straight level with faces, knowing full well within easy reach of a bat or hammer. I still will have some up in the 10' range as secondary cameras.
And then try secondary location. And a tertiary (love that word) location.
You can run a 50' Cat6 patch cord right out front door, along grass, to pole from poe switch to camera for this temp location on pole.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would mount the cam just left of the couch light, at 7ft.
You can drill straight back in a mortar joint, into the the wall and out the the drywall on the inside of the garage. Use a masonry bit in the mortar, then finish with a 12" electricians bit.
Then use conduit to protect it inside if you wish. Easy peasy. I like to use these: Klein Tools 15 ft. Splinter Guard Glow Rod Set-56415 - The Home Depot

Use one of these to mount. 1602098004210.png
Paint to match house if desired.
See the X marks the spot for location.
Untitled.png

Reaction score
You can drill straight back in a mortar joint, into the the wall and out the the drywall on the inside of the garage. Use a masonry bit in the mortar, then finish with a 12" electricians bit.
Then use conduit to protect it inside if you wish. Easy peasy. I like to use these: Klein Tools 15 ft. Splinter Guard Glow Rod Set-56415 - The Home Depot

Use one of these to mount. View attachment 72164
would the glare / light saturation affect a camera above the coach lights? I have similar garage & coach light setup (though will be doing 1 on the left and 1 on the right). Hence, figured to install under the coach lights (my lights are capped underneath).

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@S0619212 - nice looking house. Nice garage doors too. Are those roll-ups, guessing they are but I like that barn door look and color.

Got to ask about that keypad you have on the left side. To me that's a security risk if you have two wires running to that thing.
A thief could easily pry that thing off, connect the two wires and have access to your garage if that opener is vulnerable that way. Not sure if it is.

Good that you are asking questions before drilling holes.
Poster Holbs' suggestion to do some testing first is something I would highly recommend as well.
I too would be concerned about glare from the coach light. Testing will answer that issue.
Bugs are attracted to lights and spiders are attracted to bugs so putting a camera close to a light might creates some issues.

A few questions to consider:
How many cameras do you plan to install in the front and where?
What scenarios do you want to capture on video?
Are your cars always garaged and do you have guest cars visiting?
Do you have a mailbox curbside you want to monitor?
Will your entry area be monitored?

Reaction score
would the glare / light saturation affect a camera above the coach lights?
The only way to know that is to test it out first.

In general, if your cam is looking away from the lights, it is less susceptible to glare from the light. If you are shooting past/over/around the light, the more the light will impact your shot. In the photo below, my cam is about 30" from the coach light but it is looking away from the light and I have no issues. The second photo is from this morning as Inky came by to piss me off at 2am.

DSC_4462.JPG DRRT.20201007_021319.218148.3.jpg

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd advise you to temp mount on a pole your primary location vicinity, run for 24 hours to catch day and night video's of you walking around as normal person and person with a ski mask or face mask. If you are happy with what is on the video, go for it. I was not happy at 10' from a recent security event. I am dropping varifocal cameras down to the 5' level to be straight level with faces, knowing full well within easy reach of a bat or hammer. I still will have some up in the 10' range as secondary cameras.
And then try secondary location. And a tertiary (love that word) location.
You can run a 50' Cat6 patch cord right out front door, along grass, to pole from poe switch to camera for this temp location on pole.
Yup I am prepping a rig, just waiting for my camera to arrive !!!..

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Use one of these to mount. View attachment 72164
View attachment 72165
Appreciate your feedback. So in my case it has to go back in and then up, like you said i could drill from outside but then it will enter into the garage and then i will have to pull it up from there, I realize i could use some conduit or something to conceal the cable in garage . Do you have any concerns with my original position ? I have never done this before, just putting out some assumptions based on what i can see so far.

Reaction score
They make those plastic cord cover protectors to sell at Home Depot/Lowe's/Amazon for your inside garage wall data cabling run. I have used then when necessary though I prefer 1/2" EMT conduit as the conduit is very easy to work with and looks professional when completed.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@S0619212 - nice looking house. Nice garage doors too. Are those roll-ups, guessing they are but I like that barn door look and color.

Got to ask about that keypad you have on the left side. To me that's a security risk if you have two wires running to that thing.
A thief could easily pry that thing off, connect the two wires and have access to your garage if that opener is vulnerable that way. Not sure if it is.

Good that you are asking questions before drilling holes.
Poster Holbs' suggestion to do some testing first is something I would highly recommend as well.
I too would be concerned about glare from the coach light. Testing will answer that issue.
Bugs are attracted to lights and spiders are attracted to bugs so putting a camera close to a light might creates some issues.

A few questions to consider:
How many cameras do you plan to install in the front and where?
What scenarios do you want to capture on video?
Are your cars always garaged and do you have guest cars visiting?
Do you have a mailbox curbside you want to monitor?
Will your entry area be monitored?
Thanks @windguy. These are roll-up garage doors.

This is a new house that we just moved in about 2 months ago, I am not sure if the keypad has two wires running into it, I can check it.

I plan to start with 4 camera's. Cars will be parked inside the garage unless there are over night guests. I plan to test it out and see how it looks. No mail box, there is a door bell for entrance.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate your feedback. So in my case it has to go back in and then up, like you said i could drill from outside but then it will enter into the garage and then i will have to pull it up from there, I realize i could use some conduit or something to conceal the cable in garage . Do you have any concerns with my original position ? I have never done this before, just putting out some assumptions based on what i can see so far.
Too high.

Those garage door keypads are typically wire less.

You want two cams covering the drive. One by each coach light looking across each other to see the center of the drive, so no problem with glare.

Is that a bonus room above the garage or fake window. Either way you should be able go straight up through the garage ceiling and into attic space.

Be sure to study this Cliff Notes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did this with my garage. What at PITA. But, I was able to fish the cable out using a wire coat hanger...incredible device! :) I had to ask 3 neighbors before I found one...everyone uses plastic now...including us! Anyhow, I had to cut a 3 by 8 inch rectangle in the dry wall in my garage (easily patched) and it still took me about 30 minutes to fish the fire thru. Then I punched a hole in the garage ceiling and ran it up that way. Only about 4 inches of network cable showing int he garage corner. I had to drill thru 2, maybe three headers to fish the wire thru. Real PITA. When I do the other corner of the front side, I will used a mounting box and run a 3 foot conduit to the side of the house, where it is easier to fish the fire thru into the attic.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't finish the drywall...thought I had. Whatever, add it to the list.

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have "bell hanger" bits in 12, 18, 24 and 36 inch lengths. I also have flex bits or Diversabits, in 54 and 72 inch lengths. With careful placement, and angling, there aren't many places where I can get a cable to with nothing showing. All of them have a hole near the tip so a pull string or the cable can be pulled back with the bit. My favorite trick is to use the shank end of a flex bit for that task since it's smaller and doesn't need to be reversed to get it out, no spinning the bit and wrapping the wire that way, but it takes "good aim" where you can't see what's going on. The flex bits do take a bit of practice and technique because they are flexible enough to "walk" which can lead to some, shall I say, unexpected results. Another trick with them is to use a piece of vinyl tubing on the shank to prevent wrapping up the insulation on the shank of the bit.