FIXED: After new build moved to site 12core-CPU pegs 100% with no cams connected

Interloper

n3wb
Reaction score
As subject states this server was benched up with 8 cameras preconfigured and barely cleared 5% CPU. After moving to customer site Blue Iris pegged at 100% even causing kernel stalls. No cameras were hooked up. I had to stop the BI service to finish configuring the server on site. Only thing I can think of if not related to no cams on is I may have updated Blue Iris subconsciously when setting things up there. Any idea?

v 5.8.4.1

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a bug. Disconnected cameras should use nearly zero resources. I'd suggest updating to the latest version, and if that doesn't fix it then contact Blue Iris support (use the "Get support" button in Blue Iris Settings and see the "Email Support" section). To save time, before you send the email, do a settings export ("Export settings" button in Blue Iris Settings) and attach that to the email.

Interloper

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds like a bug. Disconnected cameras should use nearly zero resources. I'd suggest updating to the latest version, and if that doesn't fix it then contact Blue Iris support (use the "Get support" button in Blue Iris Settings and see the "Email Support" section). To save time, before you send the email, do a settings export ("Export settings" button in Blue Iris Settings) and attach that to the email.
Thank you. I've done just that. Surely has to be a bug. Changing from windows service to UI improved things, although It'd still jump to 100% for a moment about every 30 seconds. Trying to stop the service was locking up and would not gracefully stop, requiring a reboot of system to get service back up. Fyi

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree that 100% usage is a bit extreme but if all the cams are enabled then maybe it’s using resources to try and establish contact.

Try disabling all the cams and see if it behaves any differently.

Interloper

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried disabling the cams, and still persists. I suspect this has to do with my network configuration. I am running Intel ANS with VLANs on this server with cameras on their own VLAN. Exclusive binding in BI to this VLAN is no resolve. If I disable the NIC with the VLANs, things appear to be ok. I have ordered more physical NICs to circumvent Intel ANS VLAN configuration. Will follow up.

Interloper

n3wb
Reaction score
The suggestion from BI support worked. Camera properties > Video > Network Config > disable 'Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The suggestion from BI support worked. Camera properties > Video > Network Config > disable 'Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests.
Interesting....did he explain why it would cause the cpu usage?

Interloper

n3wb
Reaction score
This is all that was included

When a camera goes into a "no signal" state the software will try to find it by MAC address by querying everything on the LAN. The LAN addresses shown on Settings/Web server are the ones searched.