Flood Light add on gadget needed.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Im not sure if such gadget exists, but perhaps someone came across such device.

I have flood lights in my yard that I dont want to change and was looking for something that goes in between the light bulb and the fixture, so that when motion is detected and the light comes on, I get an audible sound inside the house, maybe even wifi added to get something on an app.

so its something that screws into the flood light before the bulb and then the bulb screws into my imaginary gadget.

Anything out there?

Cheers

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oah trust me you dont want that... If you have effective security lighting you will get 1000 false alarms for every actual event, and by then you will have muted your chime and uninstalled the app.

I use dual bright lighting, they stay at 50% output from dusk to dawn and crank up to 100% with motion.. works very well with security cameras, but they go off all the time for the slightest thing.. yes rabbit I can see you now! Most lighting motion sensors have pretty much no adjustments, or very minimal.. not enough to make them reliable enough for alerts.

If you want an alert outdoors I would suggest: pressure switch under front door mat, IR beam like garage doors have if you have an appropriate choke point approaching, or a simple door bell monitor.. then you will get an alert when there is actually a person there.

If your using motion detection to trigger events, your lighting coming on/off will be enough at night to trigger an event.. you could use this to notify you if you really insist on an obnoxious alert.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the sensitivity adjusted to where only human motion sets off the lights. Its been pretty good in regards to false alarms.

Fender, I was looking for something that can give me an audible sound indoors when the flood lights are activated outside. The device in the link is to turn a none motion detected fixture into one. I already have a descent motion detection flood light setup.

But yea anything that gives me an audible alert when the current flood light is turned on would be nice. At least to try out.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once upon a time, X10 made a motion detecting floodlight that not only turned on the floodlight at the point of detection, but also sent a signal through your powerline that could either turn on other lights, or ping an alarm.

I googled and see it's no longer made but maybe you can still find one.
I had it set up to both turn on my floodlights but also the porch light and an interior light whenever it detected motion outside.

Reactions: NVR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I misunderstood your question..I presume you want something that goes between the bulb and the fixture so that it can feed off the power...problem is, since your unit is motion activated it wont be sending power to the socket unless its tripped which will likely not give the pir sensor enough time to connect to wifi and activate...a non standard wireless unit may be possible, but I havent seen it..
If you have a spare outdoor outlet there are plugin units..

gth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or just have a light sensor detect when the floodlights come on, and control the reaction that way. The delay will only be a few milliseconds. ;)