Florida trailer Park bans, security cameras

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish my neighbors would offer some money when I save them money by having useful video LOL. My system has literally help recover thousands of dollars worth of stolen stuff or repairs for parked cars hit. Even 10% of the value of the damage would add up LOL.

Maybe I should charge for the video LOL
I laugh but I can't blame you. Now being into the "hobby", this gets expensive. Bought a proper corner bracket, PFB305 and PFA107 for my SD1A404XB. The three together cost just over half the price of the camera! If/when, and we all know it's more of a when than an if, I upgrade that camera, I'm hoping to be able to reuse the mounting for the next PTZ.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I laugh but I can't blame you. Now being into the "hobby", this gets expensive. Bought a proper corner bracket, PFB305 and PFA107 for my SD1A404XB. The three together cost just over half the price of the camera! If/when, and we all know it's more of a when than an if, I upgrade that camera, I'm hoping to be able to reuse the mounting for the next PTZ.
Yeah, it is now a hobby and cheaper than some other hobbies LOL.

I have had a few neighbors that have given me rude remarks on my cameras, but who was the first person they asked when something happened to one of their cars? I should have been "oh man sorry I didn't catch it", but I was nice and provided them with the make/model/plate of the car that hit theirs.

Another neighbor stopped when I was putting one up one day and was like "can you stop please". Guess what, that camera provided the info he needed when he was broken into.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's always better to be the better person. Not that I'm always the better person that I want to be but I try to be. lol

There's going to be more of a fuss over my high-powered LED panels than the cameras. My property will be lit up like daylight and this will spill into the street as is my intention. As long as I can keep them oriented so that the light doesn't shine directly into anyone's windows, there will be no reason for me to take them down.

And worst comes to worst, each light has two panels @ 100w each, total about 18,000 lumens between the two panels per light, and one can be disconnected. But I'll definitely push to keep it as per design.

"Can you stop please?" lolol

Reaction score
Maybe I should charge for the video LOL
When you supply video, put it on a USB drive and charge $50 for the drive. I bought a bunch of cheep drives for giving to the police. I think that I got 12 for $18. Tell them it is a special drive designed for surveillance video, that is why it is so expensive. When they say they would just return the drive, tell them no way would you be able to reuse the drive since you had no control over if a virus was planted.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
When you supply video, put it on a USB drive and charge $50 for the drive. I bought a bunch of cheep drives for giving to the police. I think that I got 12 for $18. Tell them it is a special drive designed for surveillance video, that is why it is so expensive. When they say they would just return the drive, tell them no way would you be able to reuse the drive since you had no control over if a virus was planted.
Or "It's almost impossible to complete wipe flash memory. For your safety and security, we cannot risk others having access to security footage that we have supplied to you."

And throw in the virus angle on top of that!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TL;DR "In the decision, the SCC [Supreme Court of Canada] confirmed that, in short, privacy is not an “all-or-nothing” concept, meaning that just because a person is in a public or semi-public space does not automatically mean that there is no expectation of privacy.
I guess if I ever find myself in Canada (again) I'll wall around in public with my fingers stuck in both my ears....:idk:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess if I ever find myself in Canada (again) I'll wall around in public with my fingers stuck in both my ears....:idk:
Here's the list of considerations that the Supreme Court came up with. They said not all may apply and there may be other considerations depending on the case:

1. the location where the observation or recording occurred;
  2. the nature of the impugned conduct: whether it consisted of observation or recording;
  3. the awareness or consent of the person who was observed or recorded;
  4. the manner in which the observation or recording was done;
  5. the subject matter or content of the observation or recording;
  6. any rules, regulations, or policies that governed the observation or recording in question;
  7. the relationship between the person who was observed or recorded and the person who did the observation or recording;
  8. the purpose for which the observation or recording was done; and
  9. the personal attributes of the person who was observed or recorded, that is, whether the person was a child or young person.

The case in question was a high school teacher caught filming female students, primarily their chests, while at school. He was using a camera pen, essentially a hidden camera. He was charged with voyeurism which requires that the recording was done for a sexual purpose and that there was a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Trial court found that there was a reasonable expectation of privacy as it was done in a school, during school hours and in a classroom despite the school classrooms being a public place. However, they couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was done for a sexual purpose.

The Crown (that Canuck speak for state prosecutor) appealed. Two of the three Appeals court judges found that, yes, there was a sexual purpose but there was no reasonable expectation of privacy. The third judge dissented. Off we go to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The SCC unanimously decided that there was a reasonable expectation of privacy and this clown was convicted.

So it's not cut and dried. Very subjective and just the initial list of 9 makes for some good balance for the expectation of privacy in a public, or semi-public, place.

Short answer is, the lawyers always win in the end! lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I forgot about this one.

We had some catalytic converters stolen at cars parked on the street about 1,000 feet from me, so of course my cameras were not IDENTIFY at that point and in the middle of the night not even detect really.

But because of my LPR and using the utility created here, I was able to see a car go down and park in front of the parked cars and then could here them cutting out the converters. They were the only car that had come thru that night that were not neighbors, so between seeing when they came through, when the cutting sound occurred, and when they left, it was enough for the police to investigate it. I had the plates, video of the vehicle, and audio of them doing a hack job of cutting them out LOL. I think the audio helped convince them they were the perps.

View attachment Converter theft.mp4

Last edited:
Reaction score
....what about cell phones. It gets very messy real quick.
Sure does. I mean I've often wondered about these public freakouts you see recorded on cellphones. There is clearly audio being recorded without consent - although It would
be hard to argue that someone screaming profanities at the top of their lungs had any expectation of not being overheard. But I would not put it past a
legal defense to try to have the video dismissed as inadmissible because of the audio consent laws. :wtf: