For best performance...

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
should it go modem, switch, wireless router? or modem, router, switch? Or does it not matter? For a gigabit network. I'm extremely new and learning a bunch but some stuff I haven’t been able find out about yet. I have a couple networking books on order, so hoping I can’t figure out some stuff soon. 90% of the lingo goes right over my head right now.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Separate modem, then router, switch, then a Poe switch for cameras.

Having the router after the modem allows you to setup and openvpn on the router. The router provides DHCP services f!or all traffic on the network.
The switch after the router keeps all home local traffic off the router.

I have never tried the switch after the modem, not sure if it would even work, because of the routing and DHCP.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Modem, router, switch. Otherwise nothing will work, as the switch can't do any routing.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. That’s how I have it setup now. Just wanted to make sure I did it right, before I upgrade my internet speed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never tried the switch after the modem, not sure if it would even work, because of the routing and DHCP.
It would work, but it would be a waste of a switch. Most home internet providers only allow you to have one public IP address so anything else you connected to that switch would just be competing with the router to take your one public IP address and there would be intermittent connectivity loss as a result.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually, for best results, IMO: Modem, non-WiFi router, switch, WiFi access point.

I have never been impressed by the performance of "all in one" routers + switches + WiFi access points for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest, though, is separating the WiFi AP from the router allows you to put each where they're best suited for their purpose. E.g.: Our router is co-located with the cable modem, main LAN switch and LAN server. The AP is located on the ceiling nearly smack in the middle of the house.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually, for best results, IMO: Modem, non-WiFi router, switch, WiFi access point.

I have never been impressed by the performance of "all in one" routers + switches + WiFi access points for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest, though, is separating the WiFi AP from the router allows you to put each where they're best suited for their purpose. E.g.: Our router is co-located with the cable modem, main LAN switch and LAN server. The AP is located on the ceiling nearly smack in the middle of the house.
Unfortunately, I already own an Apple AirPort Extreme, so I don’t think I’ll be buying new stuff until it dies.