Foscam 9901ep to ????

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All -

New to home surveillance but deep expertise in electronics, home automation, etc....... A few neighborhood "scares" has inclined the wife to task me to put together a camera system.

I think I've landed on Blue Iris as it integrates well to my HA system. I've prewired for POE to my (4) outdoor camera locations and may add a 5th in the garage.

On a bit of a whim, I purchased a Foscam FI9901EP as a test ($179) and while Foscam seems to get a bad rap around here (found this site after purchasing), the camera seems to work well in both low/no light as well as daytime operation. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to.....hence my post here!

I think I've landed on either Hikvision (maybe DS-2CD2042WD-I ?) or something from Dahua to build out the rest of my system. These seem to be around the ~$100 range but I'm the type to not be afraid to spend a few extra bucks to get a better device.

My questions:
1) Is the Foscam really THAT bad? Especially the one I purchased (and originally intended on buying more of)?

2) There are hundreds of choices, but can someone point me to some reasonable choices to consider roughly in the price/performance I'm looking? <$180 or so.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All -

New to home surveillance but deep expertise in electronics, home automation, etc....... A few neighborhood "scares" has inclined the wife to task me to put together a camera system.

I think I've landed on Blue Iris as it integrates well to my HA system. I've prewired for POE to my (4) outdoor camera locations and may add a 5th in the garage.

On a bit of a whim, I purchased a Foscam FI9901EP as a test ($179) and while Foscam seems to get a bad rap around here (found this site after purchasing), the camera seems to work well in both low/no light as well as daytime operation. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to.....hence my post here!

I think I've landed on either Hikvision (maybe DS-2CD2042WD-I ?) or something from Dahua to build out the rest of my system. These seem to be around the ~$100 range but I'm the type to not be afraid to spend a few extra bucks to get a better device.

My questions:
1) Is the Foscam really THAT bad? Especially the one I purchased (and originally intended on buying more of)?

2) There are hundreds of choices, but can someone point me to some reasonable choices to consider roughly in the price/performance I'm looking? <$180 or so.

Thanks!
Yes foscam is that bad. They have been proven garbage time and time again. The only way that camera works well in low light is indoors or if you are are looking at a close scene..
Dont buy bullets unless you enjoy cleaning spider webs off that camera...
For 170 or less you can get the dahua varifocal starlight turret camera- there is an entire thread on it...its exceptional in low light...you also get an sd card slot, built in mic, motorized varifocal and and much better form factor...dont be a sucker...

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Lots to learn - overwhelming amount of camera options.

The Dahua looks nice but it seems like availability could be an issue. Aliexpress is the only place I could find it. Also curious if 2MP is sufficient compared to the 4MPs I've been looking at. (such as the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I)

Point taken on the bullets. Although these cameras should be available via a reach out the window. I do like the turret design though.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Lots to learn - overwhelming amount of camera options.

The Dahua looks nice but it seems like availability could be an issue. Aliexpress is the only place I could find it. Also curious if 2MP is sufficient compared to the 4MPs I've been looking at. (such as the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I)

Point taken on the bullets. Although these cameras should be available via a reach out the window. I do like the turret design though.....
there is no availability issue..read again..yes its sufficient dont be fooled by mp ratings..4mp does not mean double the pixel density..also you have varifocal so you can actually get a higher pixel density image depending on your need for coverage...
So you are going to reach out your window every night?
foscam is crap...you have been warned...

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Luckily only purchased one Foscam as a test - that can be relegated to a non-critical function down the road to aid in HA, etc. I keep reading about "Andy" as well. Looking to find him now. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily only purchased one Foscam as a test - that can be relegated to a non-critical function down the road to aid in HA, etc. I keep reading about "Andy" as well. Looking to find him now. Thanks again.
return it