Foscam cameras timeout under Windows 7, works elsewhere

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been pulling my hair out trying to solve video timeouts when connecting from Windows 7 to both of my Foscam cameras (FI9805w and FI9828w). The plug in for IE (version 11) just seems to timeout and never shows any video. I can get to the web page and enter user id & pw and see the settings. Blue Iris also just gets timeout all the time. The cameras both work fine under Apple OSX, from iphone, ipads etc but I want to use BlueIris. This all used to work, I came back from holiday and the problems started whilst I was away.
I've done a checkpoint restore under W7 to before the holiday and that didn't help. I'm on the latest firmware of the cameras. The W7 machine will dual boot to OSX and that works fine but I just can't get W7 to show video from either camera.

Please can somebody help, this is driving me nuts (I would rather not have to reinstall W7 if poss)

HELP!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running the latest firmware on the cameras? Have you tried rebooting the router and switch. This kind of issue is common with foscam cameras.....They are for the most part subpar. Strange that it works with OSX though....

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, everything has been rebooted and unplugged (I've been decorating so everything has been unplugged completely!). The latest firmware has been applied without problem. I can see both cameras with the IP camera tool, I just can't get a video connection

I've also just tried a Mac Book pro running Windows 7 in Virtual Box and that works fine, I'm convinced something has happened to this W7 installation but I can't figure out what or how to fix it

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what antivirus/firewall are you running?

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Firewall is all turned off within windows and not running any anti virus (yes I know, not good, but it's behind the router firewall and I don't use the windows machine to go to the internet)

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I've been trying this (and just gone thru your exact steps again) but still the same, I just get a dialog which says 'Timeout' after entering the user id and password

The BlueIris software is also failing to connect, I'm not an expert on this but does that use the web components

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought this so I went thru upgrading everything

Just focusing on the FI9805W I have,

System firmware 1.4.1.9
Application Firmware 2.14.1.10
Plug-in version 3.0.0.1

What I can't figure out is why one W7 installation doesn't work and the other does (both on same network etc)

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
In answer to your 2nd question, the problem w7 install was on ethernet and the working one was on WIFI, both from the same Netgear router, so I've now moved the problem one onto WIFI so they are both exactly the same network wise.

I downloaded your link and closed all the browsers but noticed that I already had IPC Webcomponents installed so I removed that and rebooted the machine.

I then installed your link and that installed Foscam Web Components Test version 2.0.0.99, I looked in the directory and there are a bunch of files mostly dated around 28 Feb this year.

I went to IE and tried the camera and it wanted to download IPC Webcomponents, I said no and it continued with the normal log in but the plugin wasn't running so the video tab wasn't showing, I could still get to the rest of the camera web pages.

I tried the same test again but this time let the plug in install, and it appeared to download the plug in from the camera, which was IPC Webcomponents version 3.0.0.1 with dates mostly around 7th April this year

It seems that the IPC Webcomponents from the camera are newer so IE takes those instead of the test ones you supplied

This is all what I would expect, but as usual, when the plug in tries to connect it times out :(

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
You might have missed the 3rd from last para, I DID click ok the second time round

Just to be sure, I uninstalled both sets of components, the test 2.0.0.99 and the 3.0.0.1 ones, restarted the machine, with no browsers running, did the test install, started the web page and said YES to do the install and it then installed the 3.0.0.1 version again....and still didn't work :(

Many thanks for your help on this by the way, it's really appreciated

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by RTC but I installed it from a Windows disc (not upgrade or anything), this HAS worked in the past on this machine, but as mentioned I came back from holiday and it had stopped working - and hasn't worked since

My personal theory is that windows auto update was turned on and that has screwed up the bits that both BlueIris use and also what the plug in use

The w7 installation that works fine has got auto update turned off

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried that, there was only one other active x control, the MS Dom parser. I disabled that and hardly anything worked

I also looked in the event log but there was nothing unusual there either

Looks like a w7 repair/reinstall is required

Thank you ever so much for your help, if nothing else it was really useful for another set of eyes (so to speak) to look at the issue to make sure I hadn't missed anything

Cheers

Trev

trowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just so you know, I reinstalled windows and it all worked first time in the browser - grrr

Thanks again

Trev