Foscam FI8910W Woes

Craigs_38

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Foscam FI8910W, two of them actually.

One I have set up after spending about 2 days following the instructions on their videos about setting up the wireless functionality, to no avail, only to have it spontaneously begin working.

The second one though refuses to see any of the wireless networks when I scan for them, repeatedly.

I have tried entering the wireless details as per my functional camera but this does not work, and I have started from scratch several times by resetting the unit to factory default.

If anyone has any suggestions about getting this camera to work, I would most appreciative.

I can get it to work via ethernet cable, but need it to be wireless.

Craig

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

One I have set up after spending about 2 days following the instructions on their videos about setting up the wireless functionality, to no avail, only to have it spontaneously begin working.

The second one though refuses to see any of the wireless networks when I scan for them, repeatedly.

I have tried entering the wireless details as per my functional camera but this does not work, and I have started from scratch several times by resetting the unit to factory default.

If anyone has any suggestions about getting this camera to work, I would most appreciative.

Craig
These are 10 year old vga cameras, they belong in the garbage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Craigs_38 ,

The firmware in one of the cams may not allow it to see WPA2 wireless encryption because, as @fenderman stated, it's very outdated.

I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60.

The picture (1080p) is so much better, it sets up easily, the latest firmware allows you to use Google Chrome with no plug-in and it should be able to join your wireless.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Craig
I had old Foscams and at one point had one behaving strangely on wifi only - turned out to be the power supply which certainly wasn’t my first guess. Somehow PTZ and ethernet worked while wifi was wonky, go figure. Try swapping the supply from a working cam to test; It may not be your issue in this case but quick and easy to rule out. (For what it’s worth, a family member is still using that particular camera with its replacement power supply to this day.)

Having said that, if memory serves, they’re only WEP as TonyR suggested above. Perhaps test by setting up a temporary test network (phone hotspot works) with WEP or even open just to see if the camera sees it. If they do turn out to support WEP only and you decide to use them anyway, you’ll want a dedicated, isolated access point for them for security reasons.

After that, if no luck, checking the stubby antenna would be sensible. You can open up the camera fairly easily to see if anything looks unusual with the connection and/or board.

Good luck!