Foscam FI8918W Firmware Update - May 19, 2014

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Improvements:

1. Enhanced and secured usage of the Foscam DDNS.
The procedure for upgrading to the latest version is as follows (Warning: MJPEG Cameras Only)

1. Firstly determine which camera model (e.g., FI8918W) and which firmware version currently exists on your MJPEG camera by checking under Settings > Device Status. You are looking for the "Device Firmware Version"
  2. Download the latest firmware version 11.xx.2.59 below based on your camera model:

FI8910W - Download latest MJPEG indoor pan/tilt firmware now
    FI8916W - Download latest MJPEG indoor pan/tilt firmware now
    FI8918W - Download latest MJPEG indoor pan/tilt firmware now
    FI8903W - Download latest MJPEG outdoor bullet firmware now
    FI8904W - Download latest MJPEG outdoor bullet firmware now
    FI8905W - Download latest MJPEG outdoor bullet firmware now
    FI8906W - Download latest MJPEG outdoor bullet firmware now
    FI8919W - Download latest MJPEG outdoor pan/tilt firmware now
    FI8907W - Download latest MJPEG indoor fixed camera firmware now
    FI8909W - Download latest MJPEG indoor fixed camera firmware now

Click here for an alternative download link via third-party mirror (Dropbox)

Please follow the instructions contained in "How to upgrade firmware for MJPG.pdf" included in each download. Failure to install the firmware correctly could result in bricking your camera. If you are unsure on how to proceed, please stop immediately and contact us. Please note that this firmware update is for the camera models mentioned above only. If you are not sure which camera you have, stop immediately and contact us.

Old firmware
Foscam released a firmware update today for the FI8918W. It addresses the following issues:

1. Addresses a bug that allowed the use of certain CGI commands without proper authorization;
  2. Disallows the use of blank spaces in login username ;
  3. Allows the use of special characters in login password.

The procedure for upgrading to the latest version is as follows

1. Firstly determine which firmware version currently exists on your FI8918W by checking under Settings > Device Status. You are looking for the "Device Firmware Version"
  2. If you have Device Firmware Version 11.37.2.XX proceed to download and install the latest version 11.37.2.55 here
  3. If you have Device Firmware Version 11.22.2.XX proceed to download and install the latest version 11.22.2.51 here
  4. Please follow carefully the instructions contained in "How to upgrade firmware for MJPG indoor PT camera.pdf" included in each download. Failure to install the firmware correctly could result in bricking your camera. If you are unsure on how to proceed, please stop and post here!

cuetech

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my camera's firmware, but the brand of my camera says it's Zmodo and model #CM-l11123BK. Although, the Zmodo tech support tells me they don't have anything and to contact Foscam and that it is actually their model #Fl8918W. But when I look for firmware upgrades on Foscam's sites, I see the big WARNING messages saying to absolutely NOT upgrade if your previous firmware version doesn't match their 'upgrading from' field or you'll risk completely bricking your device. So... what should I do here?

Device Firmware Version (0.37.2.47)
Device Embeded Web UI Version (0.8.4.18)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my camera's firmware, but the brand of my camera says it's Zmodo and model #CM-l11123BK. Although, the Zmodo tech support tells me they don't have anything and to contact Foscam and that it is actually their model #Fl8918W. But when I look for firmware upgrades on Foscam's sites, I see the big WARNING messages saying to absolutely NOT upgrade if your previous firmware version doesn't match their 'upgrading from' field or you'll risk completely bricking your device. So... what should I do here?

Honestly I'm not really sure. I personally have never flashed Foscam firmware on anything but a Foscam camera.

Coda

n3wb
Reaction score

Did you end up trying this? I am in the same situation but I'm scared to try it.

Corygw

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you end up trying this? I am in the same situation but I'm scared to try it.
I did it today and it worked. A much better looking gui and more responsive.
(created an account today just to share that info with you all)

Coda

n3wb
Reaction score
I did it today and it worked. A much better looking gui and more responsive.
(created an account today just to share that info with you all)
Interesting... VERY interesting. I may try this after all. Which version of the foscam firmware did you apply and what was the version on your Zmodo if you don't mind me asking?

Corygw

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting... VERY interesting. I may try this after all. Which version of the foscam firmware did you apply and what was the version on your Zmodo if you don't mind me asking?
I have the CM-l11123BK and sorry I don't remember the previous version. It was a magnitude below what I updated it to (really ugly gui) and I used the Fl8918W posted above. Now when I say more responsive, it didn't make it light years faster, the video is till lagging but it responds to move requests much quicker. Your mileage may vary.

Coda

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the CM-l11123BK and sorry I don't remember the previous version. It was a magnitude below what I updated it to (really ugly gui) and I used the Fl8918W posted above. Now when I say more responsive, it didn't make it light years faster, the video is till lagging but it responds to move requests much quicker. Your mileage may vary.
I decided to try it today and I wasn't able to get the camera to take the newer firmware. It would upload and reboot but when the web interface came back up it was still the old version. Since flashing the wrong firmware seemed to not have a negative effect I tried many versions of the 8918w firmware and none of them worked.

Coda

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided to try it today and I wasn't able to get the camera to take the newer firmware. It would upload and reboot but when the web interface came back up it was still the old version. Since flashing the wrong firmware seemed to not have a negative effect I tried many versions of the 8918w firmware and none of them worked.
Today I noticed the front LED blinking on my Zmodo. I thought that was weird. It's never done that before. Then I thought about the LAN LED setting on Foscam cameras. Maybe the firmware had taken! I decided to flash the web ui. It worked. It turns out the web ui of the Zmodo must have had the firmware version hardcoded or could not report what the actual version was. Just reporting another success.

smith288

n3wb
Reaction score
Would be nice for someone to take the webui and slap on bootstrap UI.