Foscam fi9828p - Strange Colours

joey_c

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

A really strange thing has happened to my Foscam FI9828p and the colours are off completely. I cant pin why this has happened or what (if anything) I can do about it. I have attached and image, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Joey

How is the image at night?

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My FI9821W V2 is doing the same thing. Just started a couple of weeks ago. Wierd thay would start that at the same time. No idea on the warrenty status, not likely worth the postage for RMA. Will bring it in and take it apart and check connections etc.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got around to checking into the camera's issue. Since about two weeks ago the camera had no image at all, but I could log into it and adjust settings etc; obviously not an issue with the network connection or other electronic functions. I took the unit all apart and found one broken black wire between the main circuit board and the camera board. There are several header plugs, but the one with the black wires going to it had the trouble. I suspect that the wire just wore out from flexing, or got pinched during assembly, or maybe both. The rest of the wiring seems to be ok. Soldered and shrink-tubed the connection and taped that particular sub-harness with some super-88 (really flexible electrical tape) to minimize stresses on the cable and re-assembled the unit. All working like new now again.
I did run into one minor issue with re-assembly; I must have touched the camera lens with my greasy fingers :) (you don't have to remove it, the headers on the circuit board are accessible without doing so ) and when it booted up it looked like the camera was under water or something like that. It was really ugly. Some lens cleaner and micro-fiber cloth and good to go! :)

First pic shows broken/crushed wire. second pic shows headers on camera circuit board, the header with the broken wire was at the bottom horizontal in the image, under the red harness.

20180620_141642 (Large).jpg

20180620_141135 (Large).jpg

The camera was relatively easy to dis-assemble and put back together, but I have been working on these sort of electronic devices for many years. If you aren't sure of your abilities, don't have adequate tools, or are not sure how to solder small components, then I would recommend not doing this sort of repair yourself. Maybe you have warranty on your camera and should send it back for replacement. Good luck!
-G.