Foscam FI9900P - Short review

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a reader in this forums for quite a while ... as a BlueIris user it's a great source to get experienced hints! :)

Today I want to give a short review about the Foscam FI9900P. When we have built our new home in 2013 I've started CCTV with two ABUS TVIP 62000. These are 2MP cams and have been some compromise in price - I wanted to have a quality brand product but did not want to spend 1k€ per Mobotix. In the same year I've discovered and purchased BlueIris which is in my opinion the best piece of software you can get for a reasonable price.

As I still have some dark spots in and around our home I was thinking to extend the coverage by some more cams. The ABUS did cost me €450 per piece and this is currently out of my budget for the planned 3 more cams in the outside area.

Searching the web for a good compromise between price and quality the Foscam FI9900P came into my view ... but some comments here in the forums (especially fenderman ;-) ) made me a bit nervous on this. On the other side - we don't have any relevant Hikvision or Dahua branch here in Germany, so getting these is not that easy.

As a result I've ordered a FI9900P on Monday and had it here on Wednesday, installed it the same day. It was quite easy getting it into BlueIris and I was really positive surprised about the picture quality. It is *WAYS BETTER* than my €450 Abus cams (which have also 2MP), the cam is really cute and small and has a really great night vision.

On the con side:
- Currently the IR LED can't be disabled independantly from the night vision itself. As soon as I disable the IR LED the IR cut filter also goes off. I've sent a mail to Foscam about this, it's a must to switch them independantly. Yes, we have spiders here in Germany and they seem to love IR lights. I've ordered an external IR light which should arrive tomorrow, and as a first action I'll tape these IR LED's on the cam.
- POE is currently not suported, a FI9900EP is listed in the manual but not available in short time. OK, there are POE splitters for that
- As with most cams in this price segment the frame rate in night vision decreases from 25fps down to 7fps (with 1980x1020). But that's OK for me, the picture quality is excellent.

Of course I can't talk about durability at this point. But I'll get two more of them in the next weeks. For me they work great, and I hope that the biggest drawback which is not being able to disable the internal IR LED's will be fixed with the next firmware release.

Have a nice weekend,
Marco

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Have one FI9900P camera for over a month as a replacement for FI9903P.

PROS:
1. Wider angle view.
2. Outstanding video quality. Like new Abmarella chipset. See the footage https://youtu.be/xqFitj4po1U?t=64

CONS:
1. FI9900P constantly dropping connection via WiFi despite the fact that the camera shows that WiFi signal strength is very good. FI9903P was stable. Hope that that will be fixed by firmware update. I guess I need to buy Foscam 9dbi Antenna for now.
2. Mounting the camera is not easy.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The FI9900P looks like a real good option for a wifi camera with 1080p and decent night vision. Also supports an SD card although it apparently requires you to disassemble the camera.
The wifi connectivity issues people are complaining about worries me a bit though. I have had no issue with my older FI8905w.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Foscam direct had a sale this week on the FI9900P for $125. I had hoped to get cat5 run underground out into the yard (wildlife cam) before winter but not looking like it's going to happen. So I bit and ordered an FI9900P to use out there via wifi short term this winter. Looking forward to trying it out. Pretty sure Foscam direct has a 30 day return policy if I have any immediate issues I'm not comfortable with.
Will post my experience with the 9900 after I try it out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Foscam direct had a sale this week on the FI9900P for $125. I had hoped to get cat5 run underground out into the yard (wildlife cam) before winter but not looking like it's going to happen. So I bit and ordered an FI9900P to use out there via wifi short term this winter. Looking forward to trying it out. Pretty sure Foscam direct has a 30 day return policy if I have any immediate issues I'm not comfortable with.
Will post my experience with the 9900 after I try it out.
For that kind of money you can have a hikvision or dahua with a powerline adapter or a wifi bridge...

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For that kind of money you can have a hikvision or dahua with a powerline adapter or a wifi bridge...
I get it by now that you don't like Foscam or wifi cameras.
I own Hikvision cameras and prefer them when the application fits. I will likely use them out there once I run cat5. This is going out in the back of a 2 acre property with no building structures to protect either of those two types of devices you suggest from the elements - so I don't think they are realistic for this specific application.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get it by now that you don't like Foscam or wifi cameras.
I own Hikvision cameras and prefer them when the application fits. I will likely use them out there once I run cat5. This is going out in the back of a 2 acre property with no building structures to protect either of those two types of devices you suggest from the elements - so I don't think they are realistic for this specific application.
Where are you going to plug in the camera?
( and yes, i despise foscam, their cameras should be avoided at all costs)..
Hikvision and dahua both make cameras with built in wifi as well.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/wireless-wifi/hikvision-2cd2120f-iw-outdoor-wifi-wireless-hd-2mp-ip-dome-security-camera.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-2MP-Full-HD-WIFI-Network-Small-IR-Bullet-Camera-with-30M-IR-Range-Original-English/32448170719.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.DOIGLA&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
here's a screen shot of what worked with my FI9900, when i had it:
foscam config.PNG

RCOVR

n3wb
Reaction score
Have one FI9900P camera for over a month as a replacement for FI9903P.

PROS:
1. Wider angle view.
2. Outstanding video quality. Like new Abmarella chipset. See the footage https://youtu.be/xqFitj4po1U?t=64

CONS:
1. FI9900P constantly dropping connection via WiFi despite the fact that the camera shows that WiFi signal strength is very good. FI9903P was stable. Hope that that will be fixed by firmware update. I guess I need to buy Foscam 9dbi Antenna for now.
2. Mounting the camera is not easy.
I have an FI9900P and have the same issue with maintaining my connection.

I lose my entire DSL connection (combo modem/router, Sagemcom F@ast 1704N), every 10-15 minutes when the camera is connected to my Wi-Fi. If I connect by network hardwired cable, I have no problems.

I have read somewhere else to try changing to WEP instead of WPA2 and see if that helps.

I had to turn off DHCP in the camera and use static IP and port for this camera. That also conforms to the other three FOSCAMs I have running as well.

Starting to regret getting the FI9900P.

I have an older FI9828P that was much easier to configure and never makes my modem/router reboot when it is on my Wi-Fi.

humbucker

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm considering purchasing this Foscam model, after many disappointements with other chinese cameras (which were physical excellent but the firmware options were crap)
So I got two questions :

1) does the 9900 is able to provide a MJPEG stream (this would allow me to check the stream from every browsers, and not being limited with activeX)
2) i've read that it's not possible to tilt the camera left/right when mounting it, how comes ??
3) Any of you could printscreen me the camera 'web' folders ?

Thanks a LOT for your feedback

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had 4 foscam ip cameras for a yr now and they work. Had a few hicups along the way. All are on wifi for the money I spent I happy :redface-new:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had 4 foscam ip cameras for a yr now and they work. Had a few hicups along the way. All are on wifi for the money I spent I happy :redface-new:
Good for you.
They are crap...your prior posts highlight the defects of wifi...

humbucker

n3wb
Reaction score
Good for you.
They are crap...your prior posts highlight the defects of wifi...
Fenderman, as I've tested and cried on many IP cameras, but never tested Foscam yet, can you please give me your pro & con for Dahua & Foscam
I'm looking for cable 2MP Outdoor Varifocal, but mostly serious firmware options, thats where I think most cameras fall, not because of the hardware, but really with the '90s files inside
Thanks for your opinion.