Foscam PTZ connected via Ethernet cable... nothing showing.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
Foscam Outdoor PTZ FI9928P, 170 feet away from my home, connected to router with 246 feet of burial cat-5 shielded cable.

This is the second camera I have installed the exact same way, the other camera works flawlessly.

I used a UbiGear Cable Tester and have verified that there are no breaks in the buried cat-5 cable from the router to the camera.

The camera has 110v power and is visible on the IP Camera Tool intermittently.

I did set the camera up initially with a short length of cat-5 cable while inside the house, while next to the router. The camera worked as it should... both when connected to the router and through the house hold wifi (again, worked as it should).

When I plug in the 246 feet of cat-5 cable into the router while connected to the F19928P camera, the router flashes a couple times (on the router) at the connection but nothing shows up on the IP Camera Tool at all, to include no longer showing up via wifi.

The new buried cable has been checked three times and verified that there are no breaks in any of the four-pairs of shielded copper wire, the camera has power, nothing shows in the IP Camera Tool.

I feel there is something simple I am missing, something I need to check or uncheck... your help is requested.

Thanks in advance.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
While reviewing my router settings, I see the IP Address of the camera I'm trying to hook up shows in my UPnP list however; I don't see where that IP Address is being blocked in any way.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I laid a separate non-shielded non-burial cable from the camera to the router. Everything works fine.

The temp cable is a copper coated aluminum wire and both the burial cable and this temp cable are 24 awg but the burial cable is solid copper.

I guess, despite the burial cable testing good with my tester, there is something wrong with it... maybe too high resistance... I don't know.

Looks like I'll be pulling up 170 feet of buried cable and putting in piping to run the next wire through.

Admin, you should feel free to delete this entire thread as I would appear I have solved the issue.

Thanks for the sounding board.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If it works with the same length CCA it will work with the solid copper.
Did you crimp the ends on the burial cable?
What wiring scheme did you use?
Checking continuity is good but not sufficient.
The twisted pairs need to be correct as well.
Maybe do a careful comparison of the colours of the wires on both ends of each cable when they are laid side by side.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
Both ends are the same, I just matched the color combination on both ends. I've even cut off the crimped ends and did them a second time even though they were already testing correctly.

The tester I used sends a numbered signal on one end and the number shows that number on the other end: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, sequentially and individually.

I'm sure there's a color combination that is accepted as standard but my color combination doesn't match your posted image, but the ends match each other.

I simply guessing that something is interfering with the signal somehow between the shielding or the grounding wire or something I've missed.

How important is the grounding wire or the shielding? Neither are attached to anything on either end of the run.

Not really looking to forward to digging another 170' ditch to run another wire.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a color combination that is accepted as standard but my color combination doesn't match your posted image, but the ends match each other.
That's the problem then. You have not maintained the twisted pairs.
For the signals to be transmitted and received successfully, the TX+/TX- and RX+/RX- MUST be sent down a twisted pair.
It's not sufficient that a wire goes to the same pin at each end. That's all a continuity check is telling you.
It doesn't tell you that you have not used the needed colour sequence.

Checking continuity is good but not sufficient.
The twisted pairs need to be correct as well.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, my connections are paired up, just not in the order above.

Mine are in this order:
blue stripe, blue
green stripe, green
orange stripe, orange
brown stripe, brown

By the way, that's the same as the current temporary cable I have run... and the camera is working fine.

I'll replicate the image above T-568B on my connectors and report back.

I'll also use shielded cable ends to utilize the shielding and the ground wire (drain wire).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, my connections are paired up, just not in the order above.

Mine are in this order:
blue stripe, blue
green stripe, green
orange stripe, orange
brown stripe, brown
The twisted pairs are not matched to the signals - the above is completely wrong.

By the way, that's the same as the current temporary cable I have run... and the camera is working fine.
Under the covers, it's probably struggling with corrupt packets and re-transmits.
Ethernet is designed to be very resilient, to cope with lots of errors, and hides the problem from the upper layers.

I'll replicate the image above T-568B on my connectors and report back.
Do that right (don't reverse the order) and the cable will be fine.
You will also find that after you successfully wire the ends to the needed T-568B standard, the continuity tester will show the same result as before.
That will demonstrate that continuity is important, but not sufficient, for correct ethernet signalling.

Sir Ken

n3wb
Reaction score
See... I told you people. If you just follow the instructions and the advice of the people on the forums; everything will work out.

Attached two new shielded cable ends, followed the wiring instructions posted above for T-568B, and you'll save yourself from having to dig another 170' ditch.

Huge thanks to alastairstevenson and TonyR for not giving up on me and providing their expertise to solve my wiring issue (they couldn't help with my mental issues).